LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
policeluger
RIP

Default straw instructions

I am sending out the last sheet of strawing instruction to "zinfull"....tired of the bs from here and Still's site over it. Sent out over 250 copies world wide and got some nice thank you's back, but the few asses take away the fun.....
Unread 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Tim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Howard,
I got a copy from you a year or so ago, just for the interest. I've "strawed" steel in the kitchen oven just to see if it worked. It's not too difficult at all. I was wondering if you'd care to elaborate on the "bs" you've taken over sharing information. It seems to me that the real "boosters" already have this information (witness the numerous pieces offered at auction that approach 100 years of age and still have >90% strawing!). A very prominent collector once told me over the phone that it's easy to straw parts with a blowtorch once you get the hang of it. Information is power. When one sees how simple it is to replicate strawing, it makes those 90% plus pieces look a bit less alluring. Illegitimus non carborundum est!
Tim
The intent of the second amendment was not to allow the private ownership of firearms. If it had been it would have said something like "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"...
Unread 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
ViggoG
RIP

PoliceLuger and Tim,
Just a comment on Tempering Steel to a Straw Color !
For many years prior to WW 2 the process of Strawing Steel was well known by most if not all Machinests and Tool Makers.
It just so happens that this is the best Drawing Temper to provide a quality tool from Carbon Steel and also the best tempering color for spring steel of most types.
Very useful to be able to make flat and coil springs of all types used in the Luger Pistol.
ViggoG
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I hate to be the end of a good thing but thank you for the info. I did the process a couple (or more) of times and as long as I keep improving I am happy. New grips that fit and a little Straw makes my shooter that much nicer, but still a shooter.

Thank you
Jerry
Unread 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Howard (policeluger)... I would very much like to know what kind of BS you have received from members of this forum (I don't spend very much time of at Jan Still's forum just because I don't have the available time) over distribution of information on strawing which is pretty much in the public domain??? please contact me via PM or my private email...

You have provided a valuable service to over 250 folks worldwide... don't let a few jerks diminish that in any way...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 07-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Howard, Geeze...Ya give away free information and somebody is unhappy about this?
No good deed goes unpunished.
I have to agree with ViggoG, this is common information available to anyone with even less than basic research skills.
If you have sinned it was to make it too easy.
Don't let the whiners smoke you out. Let John post it on a sticky. If he has time! Thanks John....Jerry
Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
Unread 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Howard...

I keep reading your post and this saying just keeps jumping to mind.. No good deed ever goes unpunished..." (EDIT - DAMN, I just read Jerry's note before mine - and it seems we are related somehow.. That is the same saying that he posted as well...!!! )

After running this website for many years - there are a few who will always complain, but you know what? Those that appreciate the work of others are always there.. I know they are for me and this site. I'll bet the same is true of your kindness in providing your assistance with strawing...

Just my $0.000000002

Maybe worth less - but, there it is...

John D.
(Edit - Thanks Jerry! I will "stick this thread"!! )
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Coming soon to a "sticky" thread at the top of the Repairs and Restorations forum... a strawing process in the public domain... for all to see and use as they wish without the opportunity to punish a good deed. Keep your browsers tuned to this station!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 07-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Art
User

I can relate to policelugers complaint about lack of courtesy among Luger guys. A month ago, through this forum, a fella contacted me in regard to some repro Luger carbine parts. I volunteered to send him 3 parts on approval and included the loan of an installation fixture that I made years ago. USPS delivery confirmation indicated that the stuff was delivered 2 days later. 5 days after delivery to the guy I had heard nothing from him. He answered a short email from me with a short note confirming that he had the package for a few days but too busy to open it! Amost a month now and still no contact from him. He said he is busy---but I note that he has had time to make several complaint posts on the forum!!! I wonder if , as a kid, he waited a month after Xmas to open his presents?? Maybe I am getting old and cranky-------is courtesy a lost art???
Unread 08-14-2006, 06:16 AM   #10
A.Mifsin
User

I am one of those that policeluger had send the instruction to, he even answered a couple of questions after he send me the instructions and I thanked him for all the trouble. I wish to thank him again because he made one of my Lugers looks more presentable. Thank You Howard...Keep up the good work..
Unread 08-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Just an update... I will shortly be posting strawing instructions as a "sticky" in the Repairs and restoration forum... for all to use as they wish...

Unread 12-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi John,

Did the "sticky" every get posted up ?
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Zamo
User

Well, it's a year later, and I can't seem to find the Sticky in the aforementioned forum, so I'm guessing not.
How about it John? Did this ever get posted, perhaps in a forum other than the Repairs & Restorations?
This is a process I am keen to try on my ratty shooter.
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I never received it or I'd have added it and made it a sticky...

added info to new area, and it is now a sticky at the top of this same area / thread
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Closed Thread