LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
DaveL
User

Default 1918 take down lever

Hi guys,
I have a couple more questions for you experts out there. On my 1918 DWM that I just got operational, thanks to the lugerdoc (great guy to deal with by the way, timely shipping etc), when the toggle is locked back the takedown lever is very loose and free to swing down. Is this normal or is there a detent or something that's not working right?

Also I've noticed while browsing this site I have seen a few Lugers that have unmatched side plates with the #66 on them. Mine also has the #66 on it. It doesn't seem right that so many would have the #66. Does this designate a replacement part or is it just a coincidence that I have seen a few like that. I mean, to me, it doesn't seem likely that so many would have a 66 numbered side plate that was just randomly replaced.

Also, when I was asking on this forum about mags, I was asked to let you guys know what I found out about the mags e-gun parts are selling. Well, they didn't give a manufacturers name but I took a chance and ordered one anyway. Even after receiving it I still don't know who made it but it fits great and functions flawlessly. At $25.20 I'm happy with it. However it is only a 7 shot mag.
TIA
Dave
DaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Sounds like the TD lever spring is missing/broken, a very small spring wire set in the frame under the lever, LugerDoc and get you one, easy yo install yourself....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Balder
User

It also breaks very easily. Don't ask for the source of my information either.

Balder
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,200 Posts

Also note, that besides the wounding powers of the spring, it can also wear down the lever itself. A narrow ridge should be visible on the lever, where the spring will snap into. This ridge slowly wears away during the years, the lever will develop more and more play.

Shooting with a weak take down lever/spring is kind of an experience. The pistol will dismantle itself after recoil, spreading side plate, barrel assembly and one's self esteem around the range.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
DaveL
User

Thanks guys,
Sharp and easy to break, roger that. I guess Ill have to fire off another e-mail to the lugerdoc for a spring. I don't want it flying apart on me!! The grove on my take down lever looks good. Nice and crisp.
What about my 2nd question? Any ideas?
"I've noticed while browsing this site I have seen a few Lugers that have unmatched side plates with the #66 on them. Mine also has the #66 on it. It doesn't seem right that so many would have the #66. Does this designate a replacement part or is it just a coincidence that I have seen a few like that. I mean, to me, it doesn't seem likely that so many would have a 66 numbered side plate that was just randomly replaced."
TIA
Dave
Unread 10-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

"Shooting with a weak take down lever/spring is kind of an experience. The pistol will dismantle itself after recoil, spreading side plate, barrel assembly and one's self esteem around the range."

And if you are very lucky, none of the parts will fall on the wrong side of the firing line...

"I've noticed while browsing this site I have seen a few Lugers that have unmatched side plates with the #66 on them. Mine also has the #66 on it...

There are possible explanations for the 66 on the side plate. We would need a much more complete description of the mark, any other marks on the sideplate, its location in order to hazard a useful guess. A photo would be much more useful.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
DaveL
User

Dwight,
I've tried to get some pics of my sideplate to no avail. My 2 cameras just won't take a good close-up. So, I'll try to describe it the best I can.
The 66 on the sideplate seams to be a different font than the 66 on the pistol itself. The sixes on the sideplate are narrower than the 6 in the serial # and the other small parts. They look to be the same height. The small parts numbers on this Luger are 64 so I have a few to compare to. The top curl of the 6 on the pistol looks like the 6 in this font that this board uses. In other words the top curl doesn't go all the way to the right side edge of the 6. On the sideplate the top curl does go all the way to the right side of the 6 and curls over on the right side. There is also the #55 stamped in the middle of the square part of the sideplate on the reverse or back side. The 55 is about half the height of the rest of the numbers. The sideplate has the trigger lever and lever pin with what you might call a detent hole for the trigger. I'm not sure what else to look for. What else do you need to venture a useful guess?
TIA
Dave
Unread 10-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
DaveL
User

I forgot to mention that the 66 on the sideplate is dead center of the square milled down section and they seem to be aligned with each other.
Thanks again
Dave
Unread 10-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
DaveL
User

I guess my description wasn't comprehensive enough?? I'm still very curious about the 66. Is there anything else I can tell you? Dwight?
TIA
Dave
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

word descriptions are almost impossible to imagine... I have ti imagine that Dwight wanted to see where and how the 66 was marked, otherwise, I have no clue how you can tell anything specific from the numbers themselves (except trying to compare against like, known DWM, Erfurt, Mauser numbering)

to take close ups, you can

1. use lots of natural light (take it outside)
2. take using highest resolution and then crop down to the area
3. use the macro feature
4. use lots of natural light
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote