LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
rayman1
User

Default Range Day - Happy then Disappointed

I took my LP08 out to the range today and fired 5 shots through the magazine with AWESOME accuracy at about 20 yards. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Then I decided to load a few rounds in my 1st Model snail drum and was disappointed to see that I couldn't get anymore than one round into the neck of it because it seems the bullet of the Winchester 115gr. 9mm ammunition (and another type I tried) was a bit too long to fit to go all the way down. Or I was doing something wrong and not getting it in there. Stumped on that one.

Anyway, I had the one round in the neck of the snail drum and loaded drum into the pistol but found it wouldn't lock in. After I chambered the one round, the drum locked-in nicely. When I fired the round, somehow the locking bolt and side plate decided to work their way out. The pistol attempted to disassemble itself at that point, I guess.

I've been trying to assemble it using instructions and video on the internet and still cannot get it complete. I can get the upper slid on and the coupler link where it's supposed to be but when I slide the upper assembly back, it will not go all the way back. If I re-assamble everything (locking bolt and plate), the upper is still able to slide around. I'm dumbfounded and hope nothing is messed-up internally but everything appears fine. Any advice?
rayman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,200 Posts

Hi,

The most important trick is to make sure the connecting link (S-shaped 'hook' on rear toggle) hooks up to the main spring. In order to do this, the link must point backwards when sliding the upper onto the frame (best done upside down). When the link has cleared the magazine well, turn them upside down again and the link will fall in the gap where the main spring hook resides, hooking behind it.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
RBorecky
User

Is this the area you are having a probelm with? Rick B

RBorecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
rayman1
User

Rick - great photos! I can get it to that point without any problem. At that point, I slide it back but it seems to not want to go back very far. I then insert a magazine to keep the slide open, put the locking bar/side plate back on. But the upper still slides.

I'll keep trying to see if it just something dumb that I'm doing/not doing but will try to find someone here in Sierra Vista, AZ, that knows more about Lugers than I do. That will at least tell me whether I'm just screwing-up the re-assembly.
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
RBorecky
User

Did you look into these?? I hope it can help as I know how frustrating it is. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBP0R...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Mras88GEY
RBorecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
rayman1
User

Those were the two videos I used right away when I was first having trouble. Excellent videos for reference.