LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 09-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
LugerVern
User

Default Portuguese Navy lugers ( Sight Star )

While exchanging some data on early Portuguese Navy lugers, Joop pointed out that a star was stamped on the very front of the sight block of one of his early Navyâ??s and I too confirmed this star to be present on my Portuguese Navyâ??s, both M910 & M912.

So this raises some questions:

1) Is the star common to all early Portuguese Navyâ??s?
2) Does the star appear on other DWM lugers in the 1909 to 1912 time frame or any other time frame?
3) Does the star appear on the Portuguese Army M909?

The star is a very common stamp; I am trying to determine if it is DWM or Portuguese in origin. The star appears on some products produced by the Portuguese Arsenal- so you see why I am curious.

Any input or thoughts are appreciated.

The early Portuguese Navyâ??s are very interesting lugers but terribly under researched. If you own one or more of these lugers and would like to share information Please post here or if your prefer PM me.

Thanks

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,164 Times in 1,700 Posts

1906 Royal Navy #85 - star on front sight (thought it was a rust pit at first!)
Army M2 #3383 - no star
Army GNR #2268v - no star
Unread 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
LugerVern
User

Thanks Ron for the information!

Royal Navy 61 â??star
Royal Navy 257-star
Royal Navy 333-star
Republic 365-star

I know of several more in the 351 to 500 Republic ranges that also have the â??starâ? but they donâ??t belong to me and they may not want SNâ??s displayed.

It is interesting that the Royal Navyâ??s and Republic Navyâ??s are two years apart and still have the same marking, also very interesting that your M2 & GNR does not?

Thanks again for the info

Vern
Unread 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
MFC
User

Army M2- S#3803- no star, rust pit

Mike C.
Unread 09-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
LugerVern
User

Thanks again Mike for the Info on the M2 sight base!

Donâ??t give Ron too hard a time, the â??starâ? is not all that easy to spot, I had to use a loupe to see if it was on my Republic.

I do think it is a stamping and not a part of the barrel molding process, the â??starâ? rotates slightly from gun to gun. It does not eliminate barrel manufacturing however.

Again I am trying to figure out if the â??starâ? is specific to the early Portuguese Navyâ??s, to do this we need to expand a little into the other luger varieties of that time frame.
So I am asking those of you with both early 1906â??s & early P08â??s to also look at your sight bases and report what you see on the very front of your sight bases.

I need more data on the Republic lugers also, there is a wide range that I have very little data on and if this stamping is Portuguese in nature, there is a very good chance that the stamping changed. They went through several changes in leadership in a short time.

I have a very modest collection and the location of this stamping is usually not photographed so I need help from gun owners in this researchâ??if you havenâ??t looked at your guns closely in awhile this is a good excuse to do so. You may find that rust pit isnâ??t a rust pit after all.

Your help is needed in this research and appreciated

Thanks

Vern