LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-14-2001, 02:42 AM   #1
Bob Egan
User

Default Collecting Frustrations

Since I live in the Land of Billary, it is necessary to be circumspect in the search for Lugers to add to my collection, and of the last three "located", one owner hid it in his basement,and now can't find it,another has it in his garage,and has not gotten around to looking for it for one year now,and the third is a double date in a distant state which I probably will not be able to see for quite some time.By the way, what is a fair price for a double date in NRA fine condition?So it would seem that peserverance is the key to building a collection around here,and patience a necessary virtue.How I envy people who can just go to a store or gun show to pick up an addition to the collection!

Unread 10-14-2001, 11:03 AM   #2
Joe
User

Default Re: Collecting Frustrations

Bob

I understand your frustrations with folks who take forever to locate the item they are looking to sell. It took me the better part of 3 years to connect with a vet who was "activily" looking to sell his Luger, he was sick, was too busy, couldn't find it in the house, was going to Florida for 4 months, just got back and was too busy getting resettled at home, was sick again, etc, etc. It all finally worked out, but it took a long time. This problem had nothing to do with the state [CT] we live in.

Sorry I cannot give you an estimate on the value of the double date, as you need to provide much more information on the gun, such as; are all the parts matched, does it have a matching mag, is it military or police unit marked, has it been reworked, the % of blueing, the % of straw, condition of the boar and grips. The answers to these questions determin the Luger's value.

Unread 10-15-2001, 01:39 AM   #3
Aaron
Banned

You think you have problems? My WWII vet friend has been promising to sell me a mint Luger he showed me 30 years ago, but his wife hid it and won't tell him where it is!

Unread 10-15-2001, 07:47 AM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default It will be worth a lot... :)

because livestock comes with it (...condition of the boar...)!

Sorry Joe, I had a terrible weekend, and I just needed a little laugh! No offense meant!

Dok

Unread 10-15-2001, 08:25 AM   #5
Thor
User

Default Re: It will be worth a lot... :)

Ok Dok, I thought you meant "Condition of the Bored" I am not very bored these days! LOL

Unread 10-15-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Bob,

Don't despair. Call someone at the forum there is allways a Luger you can buy. or even contact Ralph Shattuck or Bob Simpson(or Dave), they have hundreds for sale at competitive prices.

Tim Canney

Unread 10-15-2001, 01:11 PM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Bob,

I know the frustrations that you feel. I have had to chase down leads on Lugers for a long time. Once I had some guy tell me about another guy who had a basketful on Lugers in his car repair garage. The guy had them but he sold all of them a month before I got there. Another guy walked into a gun show that I was at with four Lugers and a bunch of holsters. Two of the Lugers where hard to find and all were in good shape. But he walked up to the first dealer he saw and sold all of them. That dealer had them all sold the next day for a tidy profit. Then there are the gun auctions where guys go crazy bidding on even the worst of mismatched shooters. Finally, there are the garage sales where I have to put up with long lectures on the evils of guns.

But all of this is part of the fun of collecting and why Lugers are so expensive. But you never can tell when or where a good deal will come up. Its the surprises that really make your day. If it was easy then you would not want to do it.

Big Norm

Unread 10-15-2001, 01:22 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

Default Re: It will be worth a lot... :)

Glad to hear it! I trust we are all busy these days, and that is the "Condition of the Board" heh heh heh

Dok

Unread 10-15-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
schwob
RIP

Hi guys, if you look at the Luger of the Month. the Ideal holster shown took me 4+ years to find. The man I originally purchased the 1900 American Eagle from told me he was selling the Luger 'cause he couldn't find and ideal holster. Ya gotta stay with it, the searching is endless, but when you finally find what you want, the payoff can't be measured.