LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Balder
User

Default Old Lugers Never Die!

Gentlemen,

I thought you might like to learn that I took my 1938 S/42 to the annual reserve officers' marksmanship shoot yesterday. It was up against some 20+ other pistols; Glock, SIG, SIG/Neuhausen, Tanfoglio and God knows what - and it came out at the very top. 69 years old and still going strong, old Georg knew what he was doing. It is my shooting Luger with a 5" barrel and square sights (non-adjustable though). Of course, I must have had a good day as well.

Balder

Balder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Rod WMG
User

Good shooting. Glad you gave the old girl a workout.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Steinar
User

Congratulations! The old girl still knows how to dance, and looks darn good too! Last time I was on a military pistol shooting competition, there where quite many lugers with lathi or cut down schmeisser barrels. But thats years ago.. Not that many using them these days?
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Balder
User

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan Kane
Not that many using them these days?
Steinar,

During my ten years as an army officer I participated in four or five military national championship competitions. I never made it big, but I always used Lugers until they standarized the whole thing to Glock only. I stopped participating after that; I've never been able to strike up a good and accurate relationship to any plastic-fantastic pistol.

These days you rarely come across anything but Tupperware/wonder-nines in this sort of competitions. But, I have to admit I'd rather carry a more modern pistol than a Luger in combat. As for competition, I'll trust this S/42. Most important is the fact that I can bring it and show young officers that age (or size) doesn't always matter.

Balder
Balder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

You yourself can attest to the singular beauty, balance and prestige, these relichs of another time and place, can, more than any other reflect Mr Lugers demand for excellance. He alone would have turn down our countries last order, for His countries needs in an upcomming war. Whats truly amazing is that in one year he retooled the needs of his nation, a fete that I dont think, has ever since duplicated. As a History Major first, I dont beleive that such a degree of excellance and uniformity can ever be duplicated or surpassed in the present world. I have the fine privalege to own, not only the 1900 U.S. Test Luger and holster, and now own a magnificent Luger Carbine, made in 9mm, and my point is the carbine is as beautiful as the Test piece manufacture nearly a quater century earlier. Such beauty is forever timeless, and as I hold one, I recognise the honor and privalege that 'ole George must have felt a century ago. Thank for sharing, and keeping the History alive, preserving the past as our forefathers did before us, Thank You.
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Tim Reynolds
User

Thumbs up

It's the shooter not the gun that hits the target.
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
tenbears
User

I like this story. I know of one shooter who uses a Luger at Vandenberg AFB CA for competition. I stop shooting my Lugers for fear of breaking something.
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Steinar
User

Quote:
Originally posted by tenbears
I stop shooting my Lugers for fear of breaking something.
Sounds like your next Luger should be a cheap 'shooter'

Balder, I agree on your view on the 'tupperware'..
I have a Glock at home that belongs to our king. Didn't like it much at first.. loading it with 5 and shooting two handed at 25m. But when I got to shoot up close on these rotating full figure targets, made for AG3 shooting. I realized that it was quite a different gun. Shooting without the use of sights, double on three targets before they turned away, a total of nine targets on one magazine. ..I must admit that it was quite impressive.
But I can't hit the bull's eye with it.
..come to think of it, I can't hit much with the Luger either. Good thing I didn't spoil the Lugers glory by participating on the competition