LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
azlaw
User

Default Cowboy Action Luger Report

Shot the first Wild Bunch match with the parts gun that Hugh sold me. Perfect functioning, no problems through the match. Looking forward to giving the 1911 crowd a run for their money next month.

The biggest problem is charging the gun on the clock, very slow with the toggle bolt. That and the fact that you can't just drop the mags, because we shoot on dirt. And the mag button is a bit more of a reach than on the 1911.

This project worked out much better on the first try than the last scheme to convert Nagant revolvers to 32-20. This project has a rough start due to various ammunition issues, but did eventually succeed.

Now I need to find a picklehaube...

HLJ
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
383 magnum
User

That would be a blast to shoot a Luger in a CAS match. I did cowboy action shooting for a couple of years and it is a lot of fun. From what I've read about it lately though, its turned more competitive with many shooters opting to shoot the wimpiest loads possible to speed up their time. That doesn't seem fair to traditional shooters who prefer .45 or 44-40s. They need two categories, one for wimp loads and another for full strength.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
azlaw
User

We in fact offer about ten or twelve classes - those who seek to compete can find competition, others a more relaxed experience. The class you are looking for is called "Classic Cowboy", in which only large calibers are allowed. The "wimp gun" shooters (typically 32 H&R Mag) tend to hang out in "Traditional". That said, caliber is merely the tip of the "gaming" iceberg. Most of speed is planning and practice.

My favorite of the moment (other than "Wild Bunch") is Gunfighter, in which you fire one pistol in each hand, and try not to shoot your thumbs off.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
383 magnum
User

I'm glad to hear they are separating some of the classes. I have't been to a match in a long time but do read the Cowboy Chronicle and have seen articles about CAS becoming race-gun oriented and shooters opting for lower-powered rounds. I would love to try a Wild Bunch match. The Colt SAA is a classic, but I don't like it as well as the Luger or a Colt 1911.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote