LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-29-2001, 06:47 AM   #1
tom
User

Default Navy Magazine

I had the great good fortune Thursday to buy a 99.99% 1st Issue Altered Navy. The interesting feature is that the magazine, in addition to being properly serialed to the piece on the wooden base, also has the same property number stamped on its spine.

I have never run into this before and neither had Bob Simpson or Ralph S. who both examined the piece and pronounced it legitimate.

Since the thing was a "walk in", literally brought in by a little old lady and came in a very nice 1904 holster, I have no doubts as to its being bona fide.

Has anyone on the list ever seen such a matching mag/pistol combination?

Tom

Unread 09-29-2001, 11:48 AM   #2
Daniel
User

Default Re: Navy Magazine

I have a 1920/1917 Navy ,barrel cut down to 5 inches,1917 marked sight block mounted on the barrel,crown"M" proofs in all the usual places.Also on the back of the grip strap is stamped "M"over anchor and property number "722 N", the same property number appears on the bottom of the wood base of the mag along with "M"over anchor.Any help?

Unread 09-29-2001, 01:52 PM   #3
bill m
User

Hi Tom,

Good job on your new toy! I have not seen any Navy magazines with the spine marked, but I'm sure Don Hallock had a couple on his Luger Magazine List with property markings on the base.

I have, and have seen quite a few Weimar Police magazines with the property markings on the spine. Also, some of these police magazines did not have the serial number on the base, but instead had the property number.

Unread 09-29-2001, 08:21 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Congradulations on your purchase! I looked at my 1906 1st isuue altered w/matching mag. On the flat part of the tube near the wood bottom, I have the number 5471. On the grip safety, I have the number 1564. On the back strap bellow the grip safety, I have W.K. 1564. None of these numbers are my serial number.

Big Norm

Unread 10-01-2001, 11:10 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default What phenomenal good fortune Tom

Where do find little old ladies like that? or perhaps a better question would be how do they find YOU?

-John

Unread 10-02-2001, 07:52 AM   #6
tom
User

Default Re: What phenomenal good fortune Tom

I'd druther be lucky than good any day!

Tom

Unread 10-03-2001, 12:00 PM   #7
tom
User

Norm,

Your pistol's property number is W.K. (Werft Kiel or Kiel Dockyard) 1564; your magazine came from some pistol with the property number 5471..could be Kiel, Williamshaven, Tinstao, or from one of the mine laying sections (M.A.) or A Sea Battalion (Kaisers marine Corps) S.B. I, II or III,

Or from a Torpedo Division (T.D.I, II, II, IV) or from a U-Boat Division...all of which means that without the first two letters, you can't really tell much except that it is a period magazine.

My pal and fellow forum member Derek Seltzer has a consecutively numbered and property marked pair of '06 Firts issue altered pictured in the owners corner...now thats something to have!

Tom