LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
SubgunFun
New User

Default My new arrival, scrubbed bulgarian... shooter or collectible?

I recently picked this up from my wife's uncle. I'm new to the Luger world but I've searched through the old posts here and what I think I have is a scrubbed Bulgarian. However, unlike most I've seen, this one is all matching except for the side plate and barrel (no markings on barrel at all). My only disappointment with shooting it is that it shoots high left (and I know how to shoot... I used to shoot service pistol for the Army Marksmanship Unit and then the All Guard Pistol Team).
Seems like there is a bit of debate on whether these are shooters or collectible. I know I need to get original grips for it and a lanyard loop (anyone out there who can part with these items, let me know). It does have the original extractor (not for sale.. it has matching number to the gun).
Can anyone tell me anything about this or give a better clue on value?
The magazine is not marked anywhere and the follower looks cast (the other magazine in the holster is a very cheap aftermarket). The holster is not marked either (no tool pocket in the holster).
Being family he GAVE this to me for $300!
Thanks in advance for any help...
-Aaron

Some of the photos are rather large, so click on the link below to open them in a new window.
Left side photo 01
Left side photo 02
Left side photo 03
Safety close up
Right side photo 01
Right side photo 02
Right side photo 03
Top photo
Barrel photo 01
Barrel photo 02
Barrel photo 03
Top of frame photo
Holster photo 01
Holster photo 02
Holster photo 03
Disassembled parts
Magazine photo 01
Magazine photo 02
Bolt and extractor photo
SubgunFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I am guessing he believes it to be a [1908] Bulgarian because: a)It is a 1908 pattern frame; b) there is no lanyard staple or depression at the rear of the frame and I bet if you remove the grips you will see a hole at the bottom rear of the grip frame for the lanyard loop; c)The lower safety marking on a Bulgarian is marked "fire" so when you can see the marking the gun is ready to fire. The marking has been milled off but when you can see the milled area and the red dot the gun is ready to fire, just like a Bulgarian; d)the extractor is Bulgarian.

The gun has been scrubbed because there should be the DWM logo over the chamber, the forward toggle link should have a simplified Bulgarian crest, and the right side of the receiver should have the rampant lion Bulgarian proof. All of these markings have been removed.

The magazine is not correct for the gun (it should be an unmarked wood bottom commercial style) and is probably an aftermaket replacement. Unfortunately the gun has been relegated to a nice shooter status. The most valuable part is the extractor which probably could easily fetch over $100 (by the way, where is the extractor numbered which matches the gun?). At any rate, it is well worth the $300 and a bit more!

(Hey Ed, why did you delete your post? Makes folks wonder why I stated my post the way I did )
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I know, but once I thought about what I'd said, well, you said it better.... Sorry.

However, although I agree with the no lanyard staple;

1. I thought there was a lanyard area at the bottom of the grip for a bulgarian
2. It having a missing DWM and other info not there does not mean it was a bulgarian does it, but missing the DWM???
3. Herb has what he beleives is a scrubbed bulgarian
4. Was it common to have bulgarians scrubbed?
5. The right rear area looks like it is marked with an SA doesn't it? (Finn luger)
6. I personnally don't like opening photo links, so did not look at everything, lazy of me I know...
7. Welcome to the forum Aaron

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

In the 1960's a bunch of Bulgarians came in by the barrel full. I seem to recall that Ye Old Hunter had them but it could have been another dealer. Anyway, they were for the most part in pretty sorry shape. The dealer and collector's culled out the best ones (pretty few) and the remainder were broken up and sold as parts. The parts became raw materials for gunsmiths and, since Bulgaria was a "commie" ally, probably many were scrubbed.

There is some kind of marking in a double rectangle at the rear of the frame, but it isn't SA.
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

thank you Ron, I figured you knew what you were saying, but those were my reasons for rethinking my post...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
SubgunFun
New User

Hey, this is a great forum... glad to have found it. I really appreciate the input.
The pistol does have a hole in the frame near the bottom of the grip for the lanyard loop but the grips are covering it up. The grips on it are a bit oversized.
I neglected to take any photos from the back of the pistol but the only marking on the outside under the rear sight is a "23".
If I remove the extractor, the underside of it (the downward facing edge) is marked with what I think looks like a faint "23" with the 2 being faint over a cross or something. I'm attaching a photo... I could be wrong so the photo will be more definitive.
Link to extractor photo...
Extractor Photo
Unread 05-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
SubgunFun
New User

One other question to you gentlemen...
Concerning dry firing... what is the accepted rule with a Luger? Ok to dryfire or not? Being a former military shooter dry firing is generally OK unless it is a rimfire gun. I'm not talking match practice dryfiring, but relieving compressed springs during storage.
Thanks again.
-Aaron
Unread 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Ron Smith
User

Aaron,

Never dry fire a Luger. Ease the bolt forward, to approx. 1/4" from battery. Or just at the point the tension releases. Then ease the bolt forward while simultaniously holding the trigger back. This will "de-**** the firing pin. With a bit of practice it will become second nature.

Luger firing pins are fragile and will crystalize and break if dry fired.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Aaron, I have in stock several sets of well used original M08 Bulgarian grips that have been cut out for the lanyard loopin the $25 to $75/set range. An orig lanyard loop, may be impossible to find, but with some patience one can be fabricated from the correct diamenter rod. TH @ hellerarms@webtv.net
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
thegundude
User

For comparison, my scrubbed Bulgarian...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote