LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Default Scope for LP08

Hello Gents,
Hereafter some nice photos of my ZF 41/1 with the complete set of LP08 attaching items made by W. Aulke in Warendorf (Germany), see advertising below.
These set was made in the 1960 â?? 1970 period. It is composed by two different couples of attaching items.
What it is currently mounted (1 and 2) is the permanent solution. In this case the rear attaching tool takes the place of the rear tangent sight of the LP08.
The other solution (3 and 4) is a more flexible solution that allows mounting and dismounting the scope easily. The attaching tools (3 and 4) are numerated and with a different shape to better fit the barrel. The flexible solution could be used not only with the LP08 but with others long barrel models.

Concerning the ZF 41/1 scope, it is an enhanced version of the well-know ZF 41 - the standard K 98 sniper scope of the German WEHRMACHT. It was produced from 1943 until the end of the war. This later version is distinguished clearly from its predecessor by its elevation ring and the elevation ring locking spring.
Manufactured in the Etablissements Charles Aufi?¨re in Pantin, France, the mass production of this model was begun only after the disastrous defeat in Stalingrad and stopped already a year later. Therefore, the ZF 41/1 is one of the rarest versions of the ZF 41. The scope is numbered and marked with the code â??kovâ? that actually means Etablissements Charles Aufi?¨re in Pantin, France.
The items numbered 5 and 6 are the rear and front rain protection tubes. They are mounted on the second photo.
The magnification of the scope is really impressive for a â??small toyâ? only 13.6 cm (5.35 inches).

Unread 02-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Wow, that is so neat. I would love to be able to attach a variable power

scope to one of my artillerys. It is difficult for me to be able to see both

the target and the sights.

Do you know if such a setup is currently available from anyone?

Shooting an artillery is so much fun.

Bob Young Spartacus38@charter.net
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
mauro

Hi Bob,
To be honest I was searching for this item since a while.
This set is not made anymore.
Until now I have seen three or four of these setup but always for sale with the related arty.

Good luck.
Mauro
Unread 02-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
Steinar
User

wow.. how do you find these goodies??
Congratulations with a great find!

..let me know if you find another

btw. can you describe the reticle?
Unread 02-03-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
mauro

Hello Steinar,
I have found the set in Germany.
Hereafter a picture of a Lp08 mounting the previously described kit.

In my opinion, the fact that the ZF41 has been selected to be used with the LP08 is mainly based on the small size and weight of the scope (the weight is important because it is moving with the barrel) and to the fact that the scope is set to working into a range 100-800 meters as the rear tangent site of the LP08. Therefore it could be considered has a correct replacement of the rear tangent site maintaining the same specification of the gun.

Concerning the reticle, I am not really expert on this matter but I will try to describe what I see. The vision is absolutely clear and I see a sort of line that ends in the center of the lens. This line help me pointing the target. With the adjusting ring you can easily tune the scope to have a clear vision of the target.

I hope this helps, but I repeat I am not a very expert shooter, I have bought this set for collecting purposes. Some more pictures are available on my web site.
Cheers,
Mauro

Unread 02-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Steinar
User

it's on my "must have list" would not shoot with it, as the recoil migh mess things up. I have seen these scopes without the LP08 mounting for about 4000Nkr here in Norway ( about $500), I have been thinking of making the mounting attachments myself.. but will never be the same. Thanks for sharing Mauro
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

I saw one of these at the HGCA gunshow in Houuston a couple of weeks ago. I did not ask the price as I knew I could not afford it!
Unread 02-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,551 Times in 952 Posts

Mauro Very interesting! You have some neat toys!! Bill
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
MikeP
User

I bought a LP 08 back in the 70's that looks like somebody tried to set this up. It was missing the rear sight and had some extra drilling in the base area.
I found an original sight but it doesn't fit right. They may have wallered the slot a bit.
Anybody ever comes up with rhe rig I might trade the pistol-good bore and great looking and matching.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
mauro

Hello again Steinar,
hereafter you can find a photo of the ZF41 reticle.
This is exactly what you see pointing with the ZF 41 scope.
Have fun.
Mauro

Unread 03-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #11
Steinar
User

Thanks! I find it interesting to know how the reticle is, as I'm now in search for a scope that is as close to the real thing as possible..
Perhaps someone out there has any suggestions?
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
Big Norm
RIP

I am going back a bit with my poor memory, but I think that someone on this forum once mentioned that it was illegal in the USA to mount a scope on an artillery.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Stu
User

Interesting comment Norm, do you remember any more details. There are plenty of scoped handguns, so is it something specfic to Lugers ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Big Norm
RIP

Stu,
I believe it was specific to the artillery Luger. I'd have to go back to the archives to find it. I remember that someone was selling an artillery with a scope on it on the internet and there were comments made here about it. It struck me as odd too, at the time, since I also have seen pistols in hunting magazines and else where with scopes on them. I also remember that that pistol did not sell. I remember looking around to see if there was a difference between a pistol scope and a rifle scope. But life got in the way of my getting information on that last thought. As soon as I finish my income taxes, I will do the search. But don't wait for me since I have been thinking about finishing my taxes for over a month.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
Stu
User

Ditto
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
HardBaller
User

Hugh,

I saw the same set up at the HGCA and the gent shows it at all local shows, HGCA, Saxtent, High Caliber, etc. But I don't think he knows this story. I asked about the piece, and it's accompanied Arty and he told me it was "picked up" in the 70's and he was not aware of the provenance.

In any event, he would not sell and was looking at it as a show piece only. Think I will print this out and share on next visit.

Tim
Houston, TX
Unread 04-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Brownie
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Norm
...someone on this forum once mentioned that it was illegal in the USA to mount a scope on an artillery.
Maybe mounting an after-market scope required some modification, such as drilling, that may have disqualified the artillery as a C&R rather than making it outright illegal. Could this be what you are remembering Norm? Just a thought.
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, a C&R class NFA exempt Luger does not lose it's status just because you modify it with a scopemount... As long as it is composed of the original frame and upper receiver, it is still an Artillery...

Now if you change the serial numbered frame... that is a different story... then it is no longer an "Artillery" under the C&R NFA exeption... it would be considered whatever type of Luger that the donor frame came from... and you couldn't legally mount the stock on it.

From what I can see, the mounting system shown in Mauro's photos require no permanent modification of the artillery... just the temporary removal of the rear sight base...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
Brownie
User

John:

I agree with your interpretation but simply suggest a question might exist if a scope were mounted "less temporary" than Mauro's. I don't think the rules on modifications are crystal clear as I remember seeing it debated on other forums. More commonly, the debate is over "sporterized" surplus rifles retaining C&R status. Obviously I defer to you guys. I'm trying to learn.

BTW, very nice scoped artillery, Mauro!

Jim
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote