LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
beeman
User

Default Information requested on '39 42 PO8

I have a few pictures posted here for evaluation on a 42 code 1939 PO-8 and would appreciate all comments, etc. All numbers match except the magazine, which was pointed out to me as pre-dating the pistol since it's got a wooden base. The extractor is original and has no visible wear and the barrel has a mirror bore. Thanks!

This is incorrectly mated to aWW1-era holster. (pics of the holster are posted in the holster part of this forum)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cture009-1.jpg
That's dust under the trigger and along the slide...must clean!

beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
beeman
User

One of the top:

Query: Why wouldn't there be a "PO-8" marking along the left side of the frame as I have seen on other pistols manufactured in this era?

Thanks!
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
RylanBrissette
User

I have a bit of a "Mystery Luger Aswell". But yours is more original than mine. Mine does not have a P.08 either. I think in times of war there are always exeptions. I don't have an answer to your question, but its a real nice Luger. I want one like that
RylanBrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,530 Times in 943 Posts

The PO8 was not added until 1941. Therefore yours is correct by its absence. The 1939 42 code serial range is 200r to 8250z. Somewhere around 86000 were produced. Bill
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Stu
User

It may just be the photo, but doesn't there appear to be some rounding on the cannon and sideplate, perhaps indicating some rework in the past, or is this just the shape Mauser used at the time ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
beeman
User

Thanks for all the additional comments; much appreciated.

Tac: I'd sooner have my nether regions hot blued than refinish any valuable military firearm in my collection! Dings, dents, finish wear and the like constitute the silent and proud history of these weapons...to deprive them of that legacy is heresy in my book...

Here are some add'l pics of the sideplate; I'm interested in finding out if it had been refinished in the past. As for the "canon", I'm unfamiliar with that term re: lugers...which part is that?

Thanks!

Unread 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Stu
User

Canon is a term sometimes used to describe the Luger upper. The 'hump' on the sideplate looks a little rounded, and the radius where the top front of the canon, (just behind the barrel and above the serial number), meets the flats on the side appears a little blurred.
Unread 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
beeman
User

Thanks, Stu, for the nomenclature explanation...

Here's an add'l pic of that area. I was told it was completely untouched, etc, and am hoping that's the case, but I did well on this item even if it was refinished. I am hoping it is original though.

http://
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Stu
User

Hi Beeman. Not trying to casr any doubts on your gun, just trying to learn

My comment was prompted by your first picture where the island on the sideplate seems to lack sharpness, and there are a couple of other things that intrigue me.

I hope some of the other more experienced members might comment.
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
Steinar
User

A very nice Luger Beeman!

To answer your question about 'cannon', I believe Tac is refereing to the reddish colour on the barrel extension/receiver/slide/upper that sits on top of the frame. Some Lugers have a more plumb colour that others, yours have that colour. I think the plumb colour looks nice, some don't.

It might just be my eyes (or a photographic effect), but the frame, sideplate and barrel looks somewhat grayish. The top of the frame too black + there is very little wear from the safety hatch close to the "gesichert".. Makes me think of a reblue (not the upper parts). This is only a thought that crossed my mind, don't take my word for it.