LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 01-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,637 Times in 1,001 Posts
Default Letters from Iwo Jima movie!

This movie is a gott'a see flick! great action and acting... definitly can see why the Japan soldier was at a serious disadvantage, they were both screwed up as a fighting force... and screwed by their own high command as to supplies and logistics.. tough fight for everyone there! My father had a cousin that was wounded there.. a large shrapnel wound to his inner thigh... it never completlely healed, was always an open ugly infected wound... amazing what some have gone thru... Best to all, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

GT, did you see the first one (the US side of things?) It too was great, Letters has not made it to Castle Rock yet, but when it does, I will go see it!

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Flags of Our Fathers...

I have not yet seen that movie... I've heard by some that it's not of the same caliber "letters" is.. but I'm anxious to see it anyway... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

well, they were made at the same time, by the same director, Flags of our Fathers is probably more centered on the "people" and back home. I thought it outstanding.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Letters from Iwo

Hi Ed, I'm sure it is an excellent movie, and I'm really anxious to see it! ... It didn't get much critical acclaim though... I think there is still a bit of overlap on US war movies. Hard to beat "Saving Private Ryan" and I really liked "The Thin Red Line" although that didn't get much notice either.. The "Letters from Iwo Jima" movie already won a Golden Globe, and was nominated in another category or two? I hope both Clints films do well at the Oscars ... Most of the recent above mentioned films have had a profound effect on my ideas of what was sacrificed, and how payment is exacted for freedom... not just ours, but everyone who claims to be free.. I think the film, "The Longest Day" started me off as a history buff, the film "Platoon" was a ground breaker as in realism and the shock effect on ones ideas of war... Handed down war stories, films, books & history, are what we have to learn with when we haven't been there ourselves... best to all, til....lat'r....GT
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
tracyp
User

It starts Friday here (S. Calif.), so I might go see it this weekend. I saw the movie and read the book "Flags of Our Fathers". I thought the movie was good, but it flopped at the box office. It took in only 33 million.

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
davidkachel
User

Considering the wide-spread atrocities the Japanese committed during the war, I wonder if Clint hasn't overestimated the American people's interest in the Japanese point of view.
What's next? A movie about Dr. Mengele's side of the story?
It's one thing to forgive and befriend, it's quite another to whitewash history. That leads to a repeat.
Can you imagine a movie about Al Qaeda's viewpoint? The only view of AQ I'm interested in seeing is the one through the crosshairs.
Unread 01-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
waltherguy
User

I have seen "Flags" and it was very good.. I'm excited to see "Letters" as well.. I love WW2 movies and have seen just about all of them, old-new-good-and bad. By far my favorite is "Downfall" its a subtitled German film (ala Das Boot), and if you guys haven't seen it.. I highly recommend it!

A link to the trailer if anyone is interested http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/downfall/trailers.php
Unread 01-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Das Boot

Aaaahhh! How could I have forgotten "Das Boot" the very first sub-titled one was the very best... they ruined it with tons of edited material throw back in... The original "Das Boot" and, "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" are probably my two favorite movies of all times!!... I think "Downfall" looks good, I'll have to get it! best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by davidkachel
Considering the wide-spread atrocities the Japanese committed during the war, I wonder if Clint hasn't overestimated the American people's interest in the Japanese point of view.
What's next? A movie about Dr. Mengele's side of the story?
It's one thing to forgive and befriend, it's quite another to whitewash history. That leads to a repeat.
Can you imagine a movie about Al Qaeda's viewpoint? The only view of AQ I'm interested in seeing is the one through the crosshairs.
David, have you seen this yet? if not, then "whitewash" is a bit harsh?

Unread 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
hqbmw
User

Default Re: Das Boot

Quote:
Originally posted by G.T.
Aaaahhh! How could I have forgotten "Das Boot" the very first sub-titled one was the very best... they ruined it with tons of edited material throw back in... The original "Das Boot" and, "The Good, Bad, and Ugly" are probably my two favorite movies of all times!!... I think "Downfall" looks good, I'll have to get it! best to all, til...lat'r....GT
GT

Call me if you ever find a movie that even your lovely wife won't join you.

You had to mention favorites. As much as I like action, I also love to be humored So Pulp Fiction is my all time favorite, followed closely by Kill Bill Vol 1/2, and True Romance.

For action Enemy at The Gate and for laughs Blazing Saddles forever!

Not intending to hi-jack your post,
Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ
hqbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
davidkachel
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Tinker
David, have you seen this yet? if not, then "whitewash" is a bit harsh?

Perhaps Ed, but I saw the trailer last night. Nothing in it made them look like the "bad guys".