LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:03 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default A Day with the "Dok". (long)...

Wow â?? kindâ??a quiet over hereâ?¦ Thought Iâ??d bring you up-to-date on a visit from DOK todayâ?¦

About 11:00 AM this morning â?? up to the house pulls a Mercury Sable (or some such car) and out steps a â??statelyâ? (DOK asked me to say that ) looking gentleman. â??Is this the LugerForum ISP?â? he queries? Yep â?? it was DOK all rightâ?¦.

After the formalities of introducing ourselves, and Jen, and the cat, and the pets, and the neighbors â?? oh wait, not the neighbors â?? the conversation naturally sways over to Lugers and such. Shortly, DOK produces two items for inspectionâ?¦ The first is one of his hand made Luger boxes for a customer. It is absolutely gorgeous. I donâ??t mean â??niceâ?. I do not mean â??OKâ? â?? I mean â??GORGEOUSâ?. The craftsmanship is better then any Iâ??ve seen before â?? and every Luger accessory has a place, with the interior finely finished in a crushed deep red felt. The pictures DOK has posted previously and at http://www.centercustomcases.com/ do not do it justiceâ?¦

The second item is the Luger that the LugerForumâ??s own Ted (THOR) recently refinished for DOKâ?¦ In short â?? it is a piece of art. It is as it left the factory â?? each detail painstakingly brought out under Tedâ??s incredible talent. The blue was a translucent black, with the strawed parts having an incredible sheen and hue. Hugh Clark â?? the artist behind the grips â?? also absolutely matched the â??feel, look and finishâ? of what a â??factory newâ? Luger was fitted with. This is a Luger that was a recent import with scars, dents and dings â?? and if I owned it, would now hang prominently in my collection. Just beautiful. But can it shoot? (More on this below )..

After DOK took Jen and I out for lunch (and spilling a full glass of water in my lap reaching for the check (have you ever left a restaurant after youâ??ve had about 1 pint of water spilled in your lap??!!! LOL!!!!)) we came back to the house to get ready to go to the range. Of course â?? I was just about out of 9mm ammo, so it was â??requiredâ? that we head up to KTP (Kittery Trading Post is a fairly *large* gun store) to acquire some more for our range visitâ?¦ After drooling over a few pieces there â?? we headed to the rangeâ?¦

In short â?? DOKâ??s Luger CAN SHOOT (and so can DOK!!!! )!!! Marking its territory with 1.5â? â?? 2â? groups, Lugers are a joy to *either* shoot or lust after, but this one is especially accurate. While we needed heavier loads (we had 115gr. Win Target loads), the more that Luger was shot â?? the more it liked itâ?¦

Anyway â?? my thanks to DOK for a wonderful day!!!! It's the first time I've ever had a visitor from this forum, so it was like meeting an "old friend.. However, Iâ??m still envious over both his Luger Presentation Cases he crafts â?? as well as that 1918 Luger Ted has so lovingly restored to "as new" conditionâ?¦ Damn - I just might have to get an import and have Ted and Hugh "doll it up" (Ted's term) and give it a home in one of Dok's cases....

Unread 09-06-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: A Day with the "Dok". Thanks!!

Thank John! ~Thor~ That was a pretty one with a wet glass bore, I knew it would shoot good! Sounds like Dok knows how to put them in the center of the target pretty good! I am thrilled you got to see the JEWEL! ~Thor~

Unread 09-06-2001, 08:05 PM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Re: A Day with the "Dok". (long)...

It was indeed a wonderful day!! What John didn't say is that I got to see his fabulous Krieg collection!!! Not only did I get to see it... (is this where I tell everyone that you let me shoot a '37 Kreig???)

I'm so pleased you liked my case, and that was velvet John... the best stuff... but I was pleased by your kind comments, I hope the recipient will be as pleased.

It was a great day, and I truly enjoyed meeting you and your lovely better half Jen, even if it was *you* that spilled that water trying to get me to pick up the tab for lunch... however all that aside, I had a wonderful day, and hope to see you again real soon.

Dok

Unread 09-06-2001, 09:25 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Dok and Ted....!!!

Yep - today was terrific..! And yes, Ted - the "Jewel" is just that - a "Jewel"..!!! And since Dok's Luger looked so damned great, I figured today was a special day, so my range partner was an all matched 1937 Krieg (I can hear a collective "Oh No!!" rising from some of the Board readers about now ) - sort of like popping a bottle of "Dom Perignion" for a memorable moment...

Anyway - after carefully cleaning it up and putting it back in the display case tonight, I could have sworn that its "Krieg brethren" were quietly asking the 1937 what it was like to be shot again after so many years... I couldn't quite make out the answer - but it's grin across it's toggle was about as big as the grin on Dok's and my faces when shooting both fine Lugers today...

Jeeeeez- these Lugers can shoot....

Thanks again for a wonderful day, Dok..!

Unread 09-06-2001, 09:45 PM   #5
Rick K
User

Hey, John D. you should consider doing just what you said. I had the honor of purchasing Dok's first two cases. They are gorgeous like you said, (mine have green felt interiors) and I am soon to be the recipient of a DWM shooter that Ted is reworking even as we speak! I feel very priveledged!

Unread 09-06-2001, 10:27 PM   #6
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Rick..!

When you get the DWM and have it in the case - *please post some pics*!!!!

Now - I do have a WW1 with a mis-matched extractor, which might be a perfect TLSS candidate... It's a Luger I was going to sell, but now... Well, you understand...

Unread 09-06-2001, 10:32 PM   #7
Rick K
User

Default Re: Hi Rick..!

Sounds like a plan to me!

Unread 09-06-2001, 11:28 PM   #8
Thor
User

Oh......the humanity!!! IT's a sad life for tired ol Tedo, but still fun as hell!!

Unread 09-06-2001, 11:29 PM   #9
Hugh
RIP

Thanks, John fer tha kind wurds. Ain't it amazin whut wun kin do with a sharp Barlow?

Unread 09-06-2001, 11:38 PM   #10
Rick K
User

Well Tedo, In the next lifetime, if I don't come back as a band director, I wouldn't mind coming back as a Luger Reworker!