LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
davidn
User

Default types of magazines

In what little reading I have done, I came across types of Luger magazines; some called square, some round. Is this a true difference ? I will be picking up my Finnish Luger made between 1930-39 today. Any idea what type extra magazines I should be getting ?

thanks for helping the new kid (50 y/o kid ??) on the block.

Rgds

davidn
davidn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Davidn,

I have never heard of Luger magazines described in this fashion... can you identify where you saw these terms or the context... that might help figure out what a "square" or "round" Luger magazine is...

As far as I know, the Finnish models came with a stamped and folded sheet metal type mag, but wait for someone else to comment... that is not an area where I am very knowledgeable...

if you are talking about spare mags to shoot with, then the best aftermarket mags are made by Mec-Gar, They are the sheet metal type and are well made and hold 8 rounds. I would stay away from the Triple-K type. They only hold 7 rounds...

....and the best original mags are the extruded steel type... they are marked with at least one of the following stamps.

FXO
or "Haenel Schmeisser"

The East Germans made FXO type mags post war and they are stamped
1001/2

Welcome to the Lugerforum... you young kid you...

-from an old-timer (59 yr/old kid).

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
davidn
User

Yesterday I spent a lot of time on line, trying to read up on Lugers. I suspect I read it on an open forum that may have lacked some moderation. I applied last night and this my first day on this forum.

Are the Mecgar magazines like ones sold in Cheaper than dirt or sportsmans guide ? If you a better place to order, I am looking for quality more than price, please let me know. In your experience are the mags hard to load ? is a loading tool needed

Again thank you for your time. And,I may be 50, but I am older in "bone years" than you

thanks
David
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Contact Tom Heller (Lugerdoc) in the For Sale forum... he stocks the mags and his price is competitive... You can also find them on ebay from time to time... Blued is good, but I find the plated ones to work a little better...

I wish someone would start making them with teflon coating inside and out... that would be slick! (pun intended!) You can load a full mag without a tool if you have strong hands, but I recommend you use a loading tool... it will make your thumb ache a whole lot less.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

David, Usually the luger mags advertised by GPC, Sarco or in the Sportsman's Guide are Triple Ks, unless specified otherwise. I do also carry these @$20, since they have a life time guarantee (wear on out, just send it back for a new one) as well as the new MecGars @$30. hellerarms@webtv.net
Unread 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I almost forgot, since most of the rebarrel Finnish lugers started out as 1920 commericals, the most appropriate mag would be a folded tin plated tube with an unmarked wood bottom. InterOrd and a few other SGN advertisers have listed some Finnish made wood bottomed mags with blued extruded tubes. These would also be appropriate as Finnish replacements, but many that I've seen, were not in very good condition. TH
Unread 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
davidn
User

Default re Fin Luger mags

I should be picking up my pistol today. After I look at the mag provided, will get back with you Doc.
thanks
davidn
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
Brownie
User

Numrich Gun Parts has the WWII Finnish surplus mags for $40. You can get cheaper shooter (Italian) mags if you hunt around.

Good Luck, Brownie
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Hugh
RIP

David,

I think that what you are refering to as "round" & "square", are the springs in the magazines. The original magazines were made of folded metal and had a round spring, when the extruded magazines were introduced they had an oval shaped spring that was stronger than the original round spring and fed more reliably.
Unread 10-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
davidn
User

I think Doc and Hugh nailed it down exactly. The magazine was folded tin with a wood bottom. Great gun very well preserved. nice mix of SA...Finnish version of National Guard on a DWM action.

Once I see how it shoots, I'd like to shoot an IDPA match. After each course of fire, you show clear than point you gun down range and pull the trigger. So, in a match maybe you would "dryfire" 6-10 times. Any harm in that, my FFL holder said that dryfiring a Luger was hard on the firing pin ? My FFL holder could tell I knew squat about Lugers, so he proceded to break it down, wiped off the preservative, greased and oiled it. Even showed a few places people ofter make mistakes in re assembly. If you ever see Southern Firearms Appraisals at a gun show, check him out. No junk.
thanks all
Davidn
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

David,

Actually, SA = Suomen Armejia = Finnish Army.

I think your proposed shooting activity sounds very interesting, and if you are going to make a regular thing of it you would definitely be well advised to get another firing pin for competition. Your FFL is quite right. And sounds like a good egg.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
davidn
User

Default firing pins et al

Great idea to get new/replacement firing pin(s). When I get a 1911 or a Mak, I routinely replace the main spring as who knows when/how it was used and cared for. Do any of the small springs tend to need replacement in a luger ?

You are right, my FFL is great. I even paid him more than asked because I got a 20 minute tutorial on field stripping and common errors when reassemblying. Any big shows in the South East, he will likely be there, so check out his milsurps

Davidn
Unread 10-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Default Re: firing pins et al

Quote:
Originally posted by davidn
Do any of the small springs tend to need replacement in a luger ?

Davidn
David,

Check it by the practical firing test. If your Luger functions reilably, leave the springs well enough alone. Make sure that your mags are good--Haenel fxo type or MecGar. Don't trust any original folded steel mags to operate well.

Hmmm, you haven't said what caliber your Luger is. If it is 9mm, no problem. If it is .30, ammunition is going to be an issue for you. Go back through the Shooting and Reloading Forum for the accumulated thoughts on this toipc.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
davidn
User

Default re luger

Thanks for the advice. Luckily mine is 9mm. It was rebarreled by the FINS's and is stamped SA which I understand to like our National Guard. It looks in quite good condition to me. Sadly the Fin's had on the right grip a disk for units, condition, etc (pretty sure..anyway an ID disk) so there is a quarter size and deep inlet in the grip. No complaints about that for me. Just showing it's history.
thanks
David