LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
waltherguy
User

Question 1915 DWM P-08 proofs?

Hello All,

New to the forum, and first and foremost.. glad to be here! Recently picked up a 1915 DWM. Numbers are all matching (except mag), but unfortunately she has seen better days. Some pitting on sides, and bore is a bit dark.

My first question is, am I miss-reading something, or are the proofs out of order? Every pic/book I could find, I have not seen this? If this is a common thing, please forgive my noobness! Any info would be fantastic!

Second question, Since this gun is about 60-65%, should I consider having it professionally restored, or leave it alone? Thanks in advance for the advice..

Regards,
WG

Unread 06-26-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

WG,

Proofs look in order to me, what about them suggests to you that they are out of order?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
waltherguy
User

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the post.. I guess what made me scratch my head was the order the proofs are stamped... Every wartime DWM I've personally seen has (u) then the 2 (s) crown proofs? Maybe this is common so if it is, please forgive my ignorance.. #15 shows the order I'm refering too..

Unread 06-26-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

WG,

Seems to be a problem with the photo, try uploading a copy to the Forum (see the "upload photo" link at the top right of the page)--it will then reside on the Forum server and stay available for about a year.

Really curious to see what you are talking abut.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

WG
Those "proofs" are inspector's marks. #15 is just one of many combinations of Crown/letter marks that are possible to find on Imperial era military Lugers. Costanzo in his "World of Lugers" proof mark book shows six different combinations for 1915 (yours is one of them) and he probably didn't catalog them all. There are literally hundreds of different combinations of inspectors marks from 1908 to 1920.
Unread 06-26-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

WG, I agree that your proofing is OK for the period: 3 Imperial (the crown) inspector's (their letter designation) proofs aft of the DWM test fire eagle. TH
Unread 06-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
waltherguy
User

Thanks for the responses all! Makes since now.. (just found a pic of another with inspector marks in the same order as mine). This Luger is my 3rd, and now I've totally got the Luger bug! Again, thanks for the info. Look forward to participating in the forum.

WG
Unread 06-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Aaron
Banned

Don't bother with the restoration, as the cost of a truly professional job added to the cost of the pistol would probably result in a total value amounting to less than you have invested. As for a Bubba reblue, don't even think about it. Enjoy what you have or trade up to something better.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
waltherguy
User

Thanks Aaron, ya I thought long and hard, and don't think it would be worth restoring (guessing I would loose most of the markings due to the pitting). And yes, i would NEVER consider a "Bubba" re-blue! Saw a Walther "HP" at the show this past weekend that had been Bubba blued and my heart sank.. Anyway, thanks for the advice all.