LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Closed Thread
Unread 04-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Ridecontrol
User

Default Unfortunate Experience with THOR Ted Green

I know most of you guys like Ted's Strawing Service work and so do I. I had him refinish a SIG 210 for me. I also know as an "artist" he takes his time to do a great job. With this in mind I did not gripe at the 7 month wait to get my 210 back..What did bother me was the fact that Ted told me he had a "rush" order to get out and it delayed my delivery....even at that I understand except the fact that he wanted his "balance due" two weeks prior to that...I figure when someone wants me to cut them a check for the balance MINE IS ALSO A RUSH ORDER at that time..
Now.......even that I can understand.....but................When Ted charges $45 shipping and my $2000+ pistol is left by the Post Office on my porch step for anyone to see (or borrow) and there is NO INSURANCE and NO DELIVERY CONFIRMATION that is a problem...But...I understand things happen when you are trying to get orders out the door. So...I said just refund the difference in shipping and we would be OK since luckely my 210 was still there on the step when I returned from work that day...Ted said NO!!...the shipping prices were in his website......OK...I posed a question...
I asked Ted.....
"What if my pistol was not delivered or stolen, what would have done?"
I am still waiting for a response.........Sorry guys..bad customer service..I cannot recommend Ted's Strawing Service to anyone!!......Ken
Unread 04-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Ridecontrol
User

Default BTW Postage was $7.80

I felt this was an important issue for our members to consider when choosing someone to handle an expensive project with a potentially "ONE OF KIND" not to be replaced item.
Unread 04-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
marshombre
User

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on Thor. I've noticed more than one dealer or parts supplier padding his bottom line with outrageous handling and delivery charges. Plus he's got a sliding scale on what he charges for insurance that you paid for but didn't get. Well Thor, what gives?
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Luke
User

While I cannot comment on Ken's experience, as I have no knowledge of the circumstances; I do feel that I should comment on my experience with Ted.

Ted (Thor) has worked on four of my Imperial Lugers (shooters), and the results have been excellent. The communications have been good, and the overall experience was very positive. Based on my personal experience I would not hesitate to have Ted do another gun. In fact, I will be sending a rough Finnish Parabellum shooter to him in a couple of months.

I will state again that this posting is in no way an attempt to descredit Ken's comments, but an attempt to express my positive feelings about Ted's work and integrity.

Luke
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Luke, I too do not want to cause any thing among folks, as Ted is a friend of mine. But as a moderator, and the questions I have received over the last year, i thought I should speak out...

This last year I have had 5 or 6 e-mails from forum members asking if 8 months to a year was normal for him to have their guns, and 2 of those were well over 15 months.

I have to guess that he has a 2nd job and can not devote as much time to working on them, as I would not be confortable paying in advance and waiting so long. I am guessing it is why there have sprung up at least two other "luger restorers" on the gun boards and gunbroker this last year...

Ed
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Unhappy

I had Ted restore my 1918 Imperial and give it a Total Doll Job. I can't remember now how long he had it, several months, but that didn't matter to me at the time, and when I finally received it, I was thrilled with the workmanship. Ted did not ask for payment until the job was complete, so that also was not an issue for me.

I am assuming, because I don't believe the Post Office handles pistols (but I could be wrong), that delivery was UPS. I too, have had problems with UPS just leaving my client's orders on the back porch. Did you ask for the package to be signed for? I can't remember what their policy is in that regard, but I know I get very nervous when I track the package I see they have just left it on the porch. This however is not Ted's fault, it's UPS' fault, and if a signature was required then UPS should explain.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that pistols must be sent Next Day Air, and I always ship my cases Next Day Air as well, and I can tell you that a shipping charge of $45 is just about normal for UPS Next Day Air so I don't believe given that the above is true, there is very much surplus in that $45.

Insurance however is a whole different matter, items of any value should be insured in my opinion, for the whole value including shipping. Was this just a momentary oversight, I'm not sure. I don't believe Ted should respond via this forum, but knowing Ted he will undoubtedly respond to you privately if he has not already done so.

I've known Ted for about seven years, he is devout Christian, a decent man, and an amazing craftsman. I don't believe he would willingly do something that was not in his client's best interest. If the package was not delivered as it should have been, there must be some logical explanation, but if it was a UPS problem, then Ted is not to blame.

Also you didn't say whether the work done was of the standard you expected, that would be good for all to know as well. I certainly wouldn't want someone to "black-ball" me because of a ****-up that may have been outside my control.

Dok
(a.k.a. Les Center - Center Custom Cases)

http://www.centercustomcases.com/
Unread 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
Ridecontrol
User

DOK,

To clarify facts:

I said Ted was an artist does great work..lacks customer service on this account.

Package was sent US Post (cost $7.80) NO Insurance (BTW it was a $2000 SIG 210), delivery confirmation, or Signature required..

A FFL can send items through the mail
They do not have to go overnight

Devout Christian....no comment ..none of my business

Balance due wanted weeks prior to completion..You must get special treatment. Maybe like the rush order that bumped me back after I paid in full!!!

"Ted he will undoubtedly respond to you privately if he has not already done so."........Have not heard word one from Ted (it has been weeks)

Sorry guys...no redeeming value here for Ted...Thor still gets a thumbs down from me....Good work ...bad customer service...

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
c3006
User

I may be wrong but I do not think and FFL can ship postal unless going to another FFl. I cannot belive it is legal for a dealer to ship a handgun and have it left on someones porch. This is the first bad words I have read on thor so he cant be doing too bad. JMHO clint
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
zinfull
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

If he ships the gun back to the owner after repairs it is legal.
Jerry
Unread 04-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
c3006
User

Even if it is legal it looks like someone would incur some serious civil liabilities due to the fact that just anyone could pick it up and use it in a crime. clint
Unread 04-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Ridecontrol
User

Clint,
Another good point!!!

If the item had signature required and/or the proper Insurance it would have been secured and not laying around all day on my porch steps.
Unread 04-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
policeluger
RIP

UPS once told me, that in the companys long range plans, it was cheaper overall to them to pay off for the seldom lost package, them to "waste" thier time trying to deliver to the customer in person, can't tell you how many time I went out the front door only to see a gun setting there and never heard the door bell ring, as on a weekly basis I get 3 to 4 guns shipped here a week....but I have never had a lost or damaged gun yet....and with my own new shotgun in route right now I do not want to junks it...
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Ridecontrol
User

US POST OFFICE delivered that way because the package was sent WITHOUT insurance or any other special instructions or directives..
.........*****Not UPS*****....
but actually UPS here in SW Ohio is great...The driver calls me on his cell before delivery!!!

THIS WAS NEVER A ***UPS*** ISSUE....It was a shipper issue
Unread 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Dok
RIP

Ken,

I stand corrected Sir. I'm sorry that you had this experience, and glad that you suffered only a minor loss. Business "at a distance" is always a temperamental thing. Most of the time it works OK, and sometimes it doesn't. I myself have had bad experiences dealing with vendors long distance, I guess that's just part of life.

Good luck in your future dealings...

Dok

http://www.centercustomcases.com/
Closed Thread