LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
marhaben
User

Question Strange symbol on underside of barrel

This symbol, which looks a lot like an ankh, or coptic cross, appears only here on the pistol. At first I thought it may have been a serial block marker, but all the other serial markings bear no letters. No one else I've spoken to seems to know what this means.
marhaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Doug G.
User

Looks to be the letter "F". If you look around this site you will find the letter types used in Luger production.
Unread 02-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Strider
User

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of usefull information that can be found under the technical information section of the forum. Click on that link and click on markings. There you will find a photo essay that Ed created. Click on the link and then select the F-H section. Take a look at those photos and see if they match up with your suffix.

Sid.

Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit.
~German Proverb

If it is made before 1930 ..........It is a prototype.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
marhaben
User

They look similar, but my "f" is differently shaped, and appears to be in a different spot than the picture shows. My P-08 is an S/42, and my picture does not appear to match up with the "f" listed for S/42 makes. It does, however, more closely resemble the '???????' picture on the same page, but again is in a different spot.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I have been looking around the information sections, which are wonderfully detailed, and determined for sure that it is a military production model from the Mauser factory, built in 1942. I can't seem to find information on the crossed swords that sppear on the left-hand side. I was told it is a Russian capture mark, yet the gun still has all of its Nazi markings and was supposedly captured by an American GI in Bavaria. So that is another little mystery that has cropped up.
Unread 02-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

The mark is a script lower case "f" and it is part of the serial number. i.e. the full serial number is 6267f. Don't put too much importance on minor details in the shape of the "f" stamps. Different dies were used throughout Luger production, so you will see slight differences in the script. Photos of the "crossed swords" would be useful. Most likely it is an "X" which is found on Russian capture Lugers, but who knows? GI bring back stories often get embellished over time.
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
marhaben
User

Here is a pic of the crossed swords. Its a tad grainy, but in person the hilts are clearly visible.
Unread 02-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Doug G.
User

That is a Russian capture mark. Look your pistol over good and you should find the importers mark as well. Also looks like repro grips as well. May want to consider the group buy on Nills. A bit expensive, but very high quality
Unread 02-22-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
marhaben
User

I was under the impression that the Russians removed the Swastikas from captured German weapons, though. They certainly did to most of them on my Kar98.

I was told the grips are original too, and have seen photos of brown originals before. Is there a way to tell?

And what exactly is a "Black Widow"?
Unread 02-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Herb
User

I have two of these Russian capture Lugers, both have the X and both have import marks, and all German marks are present. I would like to see more of the grips to be sure but on the little that is visible the checkering appears a bit too big. There might be numbers or acceptance stamping marks of the back of the grips but their absence does not necessarily mean they are not original. Please post some photos of them. A black widow Luger is a byf 41 or 42 Luger with black plastic grips and a magazine with the black plastic bottom. Actually there is no such thing. The term was coined by one of the top Luger collectors and dealer, Ralph Shattuck as a marketing ploy. Prior to his naming them that they did not exist other than as another Luger with those features. These are often faked. It sure worked as they do bring a premium dollar for some reason.
Unread 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Stu
User

Check out the fit of the grips around the sideplate. Original grips will follow the contour of the cut out on the bottom of the sideplate. I believe the pair fitted are Sarco / Numrich et al Indian imports. Strange they fit so poorly in that area, it doesn't seem it would be that difficult to extend the top corner ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
saxman
User

Yes, Stu nailed the grips. They make them that way because the right grip is shaped like that and it's easier to match corners than make them differently as they should be. That little curve really ruins those grips for me, and I can't even use them for shooting. It just looks wrong.
Marhaben; Believe these guys about the markings on your gun. They're right. Even I knew it.