LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
zeke1312
User

Default Concealed Weapon?

Had a discussion with a co-worker regarding this subject. How many states currently allow concealed hanguns? What has been the result of such laws? More or less crime? Positive and negative results? Some folks believe those who carry hanguns concealed pose a threat to themselves and the public as a whole.
zeke1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Herb
User

Check out http://www.packing.org/state/
Unread 02-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Yes, Thanks Herb, ...Zeke, you will find all you need to tell him on that website.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Curly1
User

In New York State they dont give out carry anymore concelead or otherwise unless it is for the job or you have some kind of special situation a judge will agree to. Fortunatly I got mine in 76 and the wife got hers in the 80's.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
zeke1312
User

Lots of info but didn't answer my questions. I'll try some searchs on the subject. Thanks!
Unread 02-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
pipeman45
User

If you are a member. The NRA may have the information you need. Worth a shot so to speak.
Unread 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
zeke1312
User

After a google search, I did find information concerning number of states allowing RTC. Also found some data/statistics on crime rates for RTCers vs the general public. The NRA web site had some of the info, the state of Texas had data on their findings.

Very interesting. Generally I've found those who don't support RTC appear not well informed before they make a judgement on the subject. Those folks that do not collect or use firearms are against RTC as well as some law enforcement people.

Overall, from what I have read, crime is reduced in those states that allow concealed weapons and those states that recently enacted RTC laws now enjoy reduced crime as seen by their stats.

Now a few people I've run into that hunt for game such as deer, etc., do not support RTC. After they comment hunting for deer is to, in effect, put meat on the table, don't see why another would wonder why they don't go to the supermarket to buy meat. Unlike 200 years ago, the need to kill critters as Lewis & Clark did for survival is just not there. (I just use this senario as a devils advocate) to show how opinions are formed as I support hunting.

I now have information printed to so my co-worker information on the subject.
Unread 02-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Fritzer
User

Zeke,
John Lott is often qouted by the pro-gun side for having published "definitive" works on the subjet.
Look here : Link -John Lott .com

Regards,
Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
zeke1312
User

Fritz:

Thanks for the info!
Unread 02-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
stefanosg
User

A good place to keep an eye on will be here in Florida. As of October last year they passed the "stand your ground" law. The short of it is, if an individual feels their safety is threatened or their possessions are at risk, you are legally authorized to use deadly force. This is putting it simple. I retook the concealed weapons class to get more info. Unfortunately, thats alot of ground to cover in a 3 hour class.
stefanosg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 12:11 AM   #11
lundbaek
User

I think one should distinguish between states that permit concealed carry only with a permit, and those that permit concealed carry without a permit.

The idea of having to solicit the favour of any other person so I can carry a gun galls me no end. For that reason I plan to do without the permit requirerd here in Arizona for concealed carry. Should I need to carry a pistol, I'd just carry it exposed.
lundbaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

As I understand it, in Arizona you are allowed to carry a handgun exposed (shades of the Old West). However, I would be very selective where I carried it. Hospitals and drug stores where controlled substances are kept, and banks tend to get a little uneasy when someone with a gun on their hip enters the premises. Walking down the street in Scottsdale packing a shootin' iron also might cause the local constabulary to delay your stroll. Little old country bars probably couldn't care less, but in a urban night club might get you an unfavorable encounter with the bouncer.
Unread 02-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
zeke1312
User

Nebraska also allows carrying an exposed handgun. Problem is, if you walked down any steet with a weapon on your hip, 9 squad cars filled with SWAT people would on you.

Frankly though, carrying an exposed handgun would be more accepted if you were out hunting deer.
Unread 02-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Steve Richards
User

Here in Oregon they passed a "must issue" version of a concealed carry law. If an applicant does not fall into a prohibited from owning group and takes a class, the state must issue a concealed carry permit.

So far, in about 10 or so years, only two people have been shot by people with a permit and both were ruled justified by a grand jury. A few people have had their permits revoked for non-firearm offences and I don't think anyone has illegally used a gun that they were legally carriying concealed. I have not read if there has been any overall effect on crime.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #15
stefanosg
User

I think what alot of people do not realise, is that people with permits are rarely the ones commiting crimes involving firearms. Most, I like to think, are people like myself. Hard working, honest, law abiding citizens, who enjoy shooting and collecting as a hobby and God forbid never need go further than that.
stefanosg is offline   Reply With Quote