LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Eric in OH
New User

Default Double Date Luger

Hello and thanks for the information I am finding in this board. Naturally it seems that the more I read the more I wonder so the more I find, and so on. I am very appreciative of all the contributions that are made here.

I am new to Lugers. I know nothing about them, other than the long ones are Artillery models, and the basic production dates, etc. I also know that the prices are widely varied, between $650 on up to the stratosphere.

I do not have one, and I know I need one. I'm looking to spend under $800-ish for my first one. I am sure there will be more, as evidenced by my growing collection.

In my searches of my C&R vendors and online I have come across what is referred to as a "Double Date Luger" where there are two dates stamped on the top of the pistol (sorry I don't know the appropriate term of the part).

Could someone shed some light on this? Why are they double stamped? Are they truly rare or is it true that I cannot believe everything I read on an auction listing? I'm trying to make as informed a first decision as possible, but I realize that my implusiveness is acting up and I don't know how much longer I can keep it under control.

Any thoughts and general guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Eric in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Eric, Welcome to the Luger Forum... and the world-wide community of Luger enthusiasts.

It is my understanding that all Lugers that were collected by the Allies at the end of WW1 under the treaty of Versailles, were marked with the number 1920 over the chamber (in addition to the original manufacture date that already existed) to identify them as property of the German government... I presume that they were inventoried for control purposes at the same time. This double-date will appear legitimately only on Lugers of that period...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Mostly right John

The Reichswehr was having a problem with guns turning up missing, as a form of "gun control" and insurgents / commies getting guns, they implemented a requirement for marking the guns with 1920. Although this is the year it was implemented, it is not a true "date" although most collectors, including myself say "double date". You will see 1920 on later guns, but most are 1920 and 1921 time periods.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Eric in OH
New User

Thank you gentlemen.

Another question if I may:

Does the double dating make these any more collectible / desireable? Or is this yet another variation of along and mysterious history of these guns?

My reason for asking is I would like my first Luger to be something that I can shoot without worrying about potentially damaging a historical rareity, etc.

Thanks.
Eric in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

rarer, yes, valauble, not really. Value wise / cost wise, nazi era guns, then imperial, then weimar (double date falls in here), then weimar commerical, i.e. 1920 commerical guns.

Then of course, condition is everything, as is originality. If it lacks those, the price drops... If looking for a good shooter, find a mismatch for around $500-$600 and shoot the heck out of her.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Walt NW
User

John and Ed,
With this double date thread open, possibly you can help me with a question I threw out on the Krieghoff section a little while back, but had only limited response. None of my reference material makes note of a DWM/Krieghoff double date and, in fact, starts the Krieghoff notations with the 1923 commercials and the 1921 chamber date. I have a 1917/20 Dresden police marked Luger with the early Krieghoff "lazy N's" on the right side of the receiver and frame rail, but can find no written info on this variation or that Krieghoff ever did reworks supplied to the Weimar military or police. Any info you may have on this would be greatly appreciated.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
policeluger
RIP

For a great reference book, try the link to the left of the screen "links & resources", log on to Jan Stills site, his book on Weimar period Lugers is a must....I have several such "lazy n" police and they are correct and not all that uncommon.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Walt, Since the KH reworked lugers can be of any previous manufacture, I don't see why a double date would be an exception. To be absolutely correct, there should also be a C/N on the top of the breech block to the left of the extractor. TH
Unread 06-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Walt NW
User

Got it, guys and thanks much.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote