LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-20-2003, 02:53 AM   #1
Dave Sanders
User

Post Price & 1938 Luger

I am looking for a 1938 Luger, and found one from a private collector. He has a 1938 with 95+%, '38 well marked holster, 2 matching mags, bring back papers, and matching numbers on gun. Now, he wants $2000 for the set up. Is that a good buy, high, or about average? Any advice will be appreciated. Why is 1938 year seem harder to find?
Dave
Dave Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
It is hard to determine the value based on your description... value is determined by condition, condition, condition and then maybe rarity.

Having no idea who your private collector might be or his reputation in the collecting community could also be a problem... A self described collector could just as easily be a self employed Luger booster... the gun may have been refinished since it was manufactured which would have a dramatic impact on what it is worth to a collector.

Before anyone can comment intelligently on the value... good photographs of the condition need to be seen here. Some folk's 95% is another person's 85%... I strongly recommend that you obtain and post photographs of this gun before you drop $2K on a gun that might only be worth $1500 or less.

The folks that frequent this forum can guide you on whether or not the requested amount is appropriate.

Make sure that the matching mags have the same serial number suffix as the gun, and that the font used looks like the appropriate period and they didn't get recently stamped to match. If the mags are truely matching to the gun they should appear to be virtually identical in manufacture and age... more use on one is acceptable, but they should appear to have been manufactured by the same source.

The holster might also be bogus... but only good quality photographs can help make that determination.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Dave, if you reduce the $2000 price by the value of the holster (about $250 average), the pistol is then valued at $1750. If there is a tool included in the holster, that would reduce the pistol price somewhat. The spare magazine is value is $80, if it weren't matching, so we are down to $1670.

The value of the Bring Back Papers vary with the individual, but most agree it is worth at least $50. Say the pistol is now valued at $1600, or so. The pistol at 95% should bring $1200 and the two matching magazines an additional $250 to $300. Just make sure the magazines are for real and not renumbered and the pistol is not refinished!!

The Luger is a bit too high priced, but not by much. Good Luck and Good Hunting!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 12:46 PM   #4
Dave Sanders
User

Thanks you for your words of wisdom. I haven't seen the gun yet, that part is coming. I was just wondering about the price should all pieces fall into the original state. I appreciate the help. I felt it was too high myself, but in the boondocks of Idaho, we don't know prices very well.
Dave
Dave Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Welcome to the Lugerforum Dave, you have come to the right place for help...

Please keep us advised on what happens, and we would like to see photos whether you buy this rig or not (I collect Luger photos).

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
MauserLugers
User

Hi,
Anytime you find a Mauser WW2 military with two original matching magazines, and a 1938 to boot, which is one of the harder years to find with two matching magazines, $2000 is in my opinion very fair, if not on the low side. I'll pay $2000 for a 95% Mauser in all original condition with the two original magazines anytime I can find one. How many have you run across lately? To find a complete original outfit that hasn't been messed with is a fairly rare find today. If this is real, you snap it up in a hurry and if you're hesitant, let me pick it up.-- That extra magazine might be valued at $80 to some, but the matching extra magazine is more like $500 to $1000 extra to the right collectors. --

Example: At the Kansas City show in July there was a nice 41/42 complete rig. Price was $5500. No I did not buy it, but I sure wanted it. Figure the value of that extra magazine. Holster $400 (?), gun with matching magazine $2500 (?) -- now tell me that extra magazine is only worth $250-$300 dollars. -- Bill
MauserLugers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Greg G
User

I thought $2000 was fair for this rig also, assuming everything is correct.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote