LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts
Default Just NY?

I stopped by WalMart last weekend..Mother Hubbard time! All that remained of their ammo case was shotgun shells, a half dozen boxes of .22lr shotshells, and some other odds and ends. I buy their 9mm white box Winchester and 100 round boxes of Federal .45 ACP because they are priced very well. But Wally World can't seem to keep them in stock.

In addition to this, many online sellers of ammo are out of stock of just about everything. What, exactly, is causing this pinch?
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Barack Hussein Obama.

The threat of new taxes on ammo and banning a number of firearms related items has caused tens of thousands of people, who otherwise could not care less to go out and "get theirs". Have you tried to purchase an AR 15 lately, (they are selling for as high as $3,600 on Gunbroker)?
Dealers here in Florida are waiting for the trucks at the Walmart docks and dealing with the store right off the truck, so they can then gouge consumers at the next gunshow with bumped up prices.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The very same scenario is occurring on reloading components. Some are hoarders(panic), and others are trying to turn a buck!!
rhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
I stopped by WalMart last weekend..Mother Hubbard time! All that remained of their ammo case was shotgun shells, a half dozen boxes of .22lr shotshells, and some other odds and ends. I buy their 9mm white box Winchester and !00 round boxes of Federal .4 ACP because they are priced very well. But Wally World can't seem to keep them in stock.

In addition to this, many online sellers of ammo are out of stock of just about everything. What, exactly, is causing this pinch?

Simple --- supply and demand.

Plus people who are not very smart - (being polite). I purchased 6,000 rounds of 5.56x45 and 2,000 rounds of 9mm in September, October and early November. The 5.56x45 ranged from a box price of $4.10 (Tula) to $8.10 (Remington). (9mm was $8.80 a box - all brass/boxer.) 10 cases of 30 ball from the CMP in the summer. All one had to do was to look around and watch.
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
The very same scenario is occurring on reloading components. Some are hoarders(panic), and others are trying to turn a buck!!
What is the definition of a hoarder ?
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Curly1
User

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoarding

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
^Thank you.

The definition : "Hoarding is a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items during periods of scarcity."

But it does not specify a quantity.

So what quantity would qualify ??

As to ammo - 100 rounds, 1000 rounds, 100,000 rounds ??

As to weapons - 10 weapons, 100 weapons, 1000 weapons ??

So am I a hoarder because I had the foresight to buy ammo before it became scarce ??

Am I a hoarder because I had the foresight to acquire 8 SKSs, 4 AKs, 3 M1As, 7 AR15s, among other items before they became scarce ??

What is the difference between someone who has foresight and one who waits until the last minute ?
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Shelves at my local Farm and Home are empty, I'm sure Cabela's shelves in St Louis are close to bare. The civvie side to Olin in Oxford MS are working overtime to fill orders.
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1 View Post
^Thank you.

The definition : "Hoarding is a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items during periods of scarcity."

But it does not specify a quantity.

So what quantity would qualify ??

As to ammo - 100 rounds, 1000 rounds, 100,000 rounds ??

As to weapons - 10 weapons, 100 weapons, 1000 weapons ??

So am I a hoarder because I had the foresight to buy ammo before it became scarce ??

Am I a hoarder because I had the foresight to acquire 8 SKSs, 4 AKs, 3 M1As, 7 AR15s, among other items before they became scarce ??

What is the difference between someone who has foresight and one who waits until the last minute ?

I think the operative concept is stated a little further down: "...where the perceived importance of the hoarded items far exceeds their true value..." Animals do it by instinct. The hamster I had when I was in 6th grade would stash as much food as you cared to give her; however, the excess beyond that which was actually consumed, rotted in the stash beneath the litter in the cage and would be thrown out at each routine housekeeping I performed. A specific number for US and our ammo would be hard to pick. How much ammo would be necessary to serve our purposes, if ammo production were to stop entirely? I guess one could leave the excess to friends and family in his/her will...

On this front, 5 rounds of 20 gauge rifled slugs would keep me in venison for a year. A few shotshells for rabbits and squirrels, maybe, but then again a Hav-a-hart trap might suffice. Would I choose to stand off post-apocalyptic invaders/scavengers/looters--whether they are civilian or originate in whatever "legal" authorities remain, or are created? That would depend on a lot of things.

Perhaps a good gauge of "too much" in practical terms would be related to how much suffering or deprivation must be endured under the status quo in order to prepare for a scenario which may--or may not--happen. Maybe our family members are starved to support the behavior?

I've noticed that the doomsday preppers prepare for many different scenarios--EMPs that take out the power grid and all electronic/electrical devices; Tsunamis; economic collapse and the presumed chaos and civil unrest to follow; there was even one guy who thought the earth would flip around on its axis (a TOTAL fallacy! Polar shifts have occurred many times before, but it involves the magnetic fields of the earth, NOT the planet itself.). As with different religions, they can't all be right; but they could all be wrong. It, in fact, may turn out to be like packing up two tons of sand--just in case it were needed--and then finding out we had to travel across a desert.

If you've seen the Hoarders show on TV, and you have the fortitude necessary to do a reality check on yourself, then you know who you are!
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
In a somewhat related vein, I read an off-topic comment on the Coltforum that 1911/Colt Gov't model .45 autos & clones are flying off the dealers shelves here in NYS...Due to the 7-rd mag capacity...
I think just about any full sized pistol now falls into this danged category, even the almost 50-yr old Erma .22s. But the 1911 is extremely numerous and iconic, not to mention usually .45 caliber. It will be a hey-day until April 15th when we all go down to the county clerks' offices to register our "assault weapons".
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Curly1
User

This was posted onthe gunboards

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/guns-...r-war-2_022013

Gary
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
padredan
User

Ammo , comes in here everyday and is pretty much grabed up quickly, but it comes in. prices are falling as supply increases, there are ar 15's again on selfs at normal prices and they continue to sit there, so in some ways it's starting to get back to normal. at least here.
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
Ammo , comes in here everyday and is pretty much grabed up quickly, but it comes in. prices are falling as supply increases, there are ar 15's again on selfs at normal prices and they continue to sit there, so in some ways it's starting to get back to normal. at least here.

That is good news!! I hope that it continues across the Nation. I see that some of the "speculators" on Backpage here in Az. are lowering their prices on AR 15($4500 down to $3000) since they have no takers. This should continue unless something else happens.
rhuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

Its been very busy at gunshops since December and a number of discussions on assorted boards, not sure if on this board of this same subject.

And gun shows have been crazy for the last two months....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
padredan
User

Mr tinker, there are 1100.00 to 1000.00 ar's that have not sold here, i bought 20rd boxs of 5.56 for 6.00 today, 9mm is still spotty but there is ammo ariving here each day, gunshows are mostly still gaughers.
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
Mr tinker, there are 1100.00 to 1000.00 ar's that have not sold here, i bought 20rd boxs of 5.56 for 6.00 today, 9mm is still spotty but there is ammo ariving here each day, gunshows are mostly still gaughers.
huh?????
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
Dave, the .45 auto falls into the 'allowed' category, due to the 7-rd mag capacity...Where a Beretta M9 would not...That's what the guy was saying...That it's allowed, not outlawed...
I would be willing to bet that the state politicians have .45's.

Gary
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

A massive industry movement is starting. I received this note today:

Cheaper Than Dirt Supports Citizens' 2nd Amendment Rights

Recently companies such as LaRue Tactical and Olympic Arms announced they will no longer sell prohibited items to government agencies and personnel in states denying civilians to own those same items. It has been and will continue to be Cheaper Than Dirt's policy not to sell prohibited items to government agencies and agents in states, counties, cities and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their citizens. We support and encourage other companies that share in this sentiment.

- - - - -

CTD is the most recent of several firearms industry companies to tell New York and other similar geographies that have passed draconian gun laws that they will no longer do business with them.

Marc
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
padredan
User

what i am saying is , if the reasonable priced ar's are not selling and amunition is arriving in quanity everyday, supply is reaching demand at least here and sooner or later it will do it most everywhere. Panic buying has caused this and sooner or later it will cease.
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Stopped by the local Walmart on Thursday, Feb. 14. No .22lr, .38, 9mm, .40, .45, .223, 5.56. Only some hunting type rifle and shotgun ammo. Still panic buying here I guess.

But I've been a "thrifty ant" for years, no shortage here.

Going to Walmart was just the thing for Valentine's Day.
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote