LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 12-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,200 Posts
Default Fact finding mission, early Interarms

Guys,

I'm trying to find some examples of guns marked according to an internal Mauser directive. It's a bit of a long story and it involves the difference between frame ear curves on the 1969-1971 Mauser Parabellum pistols opposed to the frame ear curves of 1971 - 1972 Mauser Parabellum pistols. A design change was made in 1971 that rendered the existing frames on stock useless for building 9mm pistols. The choice was made to mark those frames accordingly and use them exclusively for building .30 luger pistols. The illustration shows the difference in frame ear curves between the Swiss 06/29 (and Mauser 06/70) and a wartime mauser P08.

What am I looking for?

The guns are Interarms or neutral Mauser Parabellum pistols in .30 luger, produced between 1969 and 1972 with the Swiss style frame:

-The serial numbers are most likely to be in the 3000 - 4000 series (10.003000 and 10.004000) and the question is if a heart shaped marking, roughly 2.5mm in size is present on the frame (hidden from plain sight). The marking is placed below the hole drilled for the safety lever, covered by the grip.

If you have a Mauser Parabellum within this approximate serial number range, I'm interested in the serial number, type (Swiss/Interarms/etc..) and whether or not the heart shaped marking is present on the frame somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curves.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	3967  

Attached Images

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
unspellable
User

All of my re-intro Mausers appear to have the Swiss style ramp, regardless of whether they a chambered for 7.65 mm or 9 mm, and regardless of whether they have the German or Swiss style grip.

All appear to have serial numbers higher than the range you speak of except for one with an RG number. Offhand I don't know when the RGs were made.

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on what you are looking for.

I tore down one 7.65 with a Swiss style grip and did not find a heart shaped mark.

Incidently, while going through them, I had the bottom of an unfired mag fall apart. I also collect slide rules and the K&E line of rules are infamous for "The Dreaded Cursor Bar Rot" in which the plastic used in the cursor bars deteriorates with age. I hope there is not a similar malady affecting luger mags.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

No�«l,
I don't want to divert Gerben's thread, but I have a K&E "Log Log Duplex Decitrig" that my Dad bought for me when I entered college in 1957. It was a pretty expensive outlay for him at the time and I treasure it to this day. "The Dreaded Cursor Bar Rot" is not in evidence on my slide rule as it is as clear as the day he gave it to me. I still have the original K&E green leather case that I carried it around in on a swivel belt loop. Guess I was a prototypical "nerd". Both the rule and the case are in near mint condition and I display them, along with my 6" Faber Castell pocket slide rule and case and my abacus, in my study. I have the original manual for the K&E around someplace, but it would take an extensive search to find it.
Unread 01-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Hi,

The RG's were made at a later date, so they probably will have the new style toggle ramp.
The old 7,65 only frame was phased out between 1971 and 1972. This should roughly correspond with the mentioned serial number range 3000 - 4000.

The 4000 upper limit is pretty much within the limits. I have an early transitional model that has a new P08-style frame, but retains all other 06/70 parts (trigger, takedown lever, safety catch, side plate). This is number 4187, so at that point the new frames were already being used. Please note that Mauser Parabellum serial numbers have the 10.00... or 11.00... prefix, it can be ignored as it only signifies 7,65 (10) or 9mm (11).

The magazine bottoms are fragile, as endurance tests at Mauser also showed. During one 5000-shot test, some 70% of the magazine bottoms failed!

I suggest not to use the original Mauser Parabellum magazines for shooting, but using a MecGar or Swiss (7,65 only) magazine instead.

(I'm not into slide rules, but this is the only caliper I use )
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default ramp...

Hi Gerben, I absolutely love the asthetics of the Swiss 06/29 frame... Swiss or Mauser, I think it's the best, last, effort to make this pistol viable in the modern world... I probably am not as fond of the stepped chamber on the upper reciever... But, I also like the smooth toggle knobs on the rear link... so, I am pretty much enamored by the Swiss 06/29.... (also really like .30 cal.) Best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
unspellable
User

Default Various

Vlim,

All of my re-intro Mausers seem to have the same Swiss style ramp, regardless of caliber or grip style. So I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. My serial numbers all seem to be out of your range anyway.

Ron,

It's not the windows but the bars. Over time they begin to yellow. As time goes on the yellow deepens and becomes brownish. Then the bars begin to crumble. Later K&Es seem to have a better grade of plastic that holds up longer. Not sure when the switchover happened. I have a number of examples of K&E cursor rot. BTW: Leather slide rule cases can corrode the hardware on the rule if it's stored in them, similar to storing a Luger in the holster, I thing a new friend at work has been guilty of.

GT,

I ain't dead, despite any rumors to the contrary. I switched jobs and went to work on the Ares replacement for the shuttle at the Marshal Space Flight Center in Alabama. Relocating has been a hassle. Been meaning to write.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

This should help. The exact location was documented in a 1972 Internal Mauser document.
Attached Images

Unread 01-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Steve Richards
User

My serial number is well outside of the desired range (10.001336) and has the Swiss type ramp.

I only used a slide rule for a short while but extensively used a Curta calculator from Lichtenstien. It was about 6 inches tall and a dameter of about 3 inches with a crank on top. I wish I still had one. I looked on ebay a while back and about had a heart attack! It was great for doing the math involved in translating land survey field notes into a drawn map.

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
Steinar
User

Hey there Vlim,
can't help with your request..

But I have the manual that probably came with your caliper. (Typical Mauser to produce a manual for something like a caliper..)
It's just laying around, so just let me know if you have any interest in it.

b.r
Steinar
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Steinar,

Sounds nice!

Steve: Yours is a very early one and it should have the old style (7,65 only) ramp design.
You already mentioned this pistol to Mauro in the past?
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Steinar
User

On it's way.. enjoy
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanks! (again!!)
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Hello Vlim and Steinar,
I have the Steinar Parabellum alredy in my files.
Cheers,
Mauro
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
Steve Richards
User

Vlim

I have sent Maurio information about my pistol in the past.
The 7.65 with a 6inch barrel is wonderful to shoot!

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote