LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
rjbuckley
User

Default 2nd attempt to post

Does anyone maintain this board? I should have saved my original post, because it never made it here. This is a test to see if anyone is out there!

Thanks,
-rb
rjbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Robert.

Welcome to the Luger Forum...yes, many of us are out here.

The posting, above, indicates this was your 1st. posting. Maybe you tried to post before your Membership was approved and activated ???

Just a guess on my part...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
rjbuckley
User

Ahaaa! I see it made it! Great.
Hey all, Im obviously a newcomer. And an avid gun lover.
Recently I came across a deal on a 1940 8 mm mauser rifle with all matching parts in great condition. But that's not why I'm here.

When I went to my FFL to pick it up, my eye caught an old german luger in what appears to be excellent condition. So.. I bought it.
Now I have questions that the FFL couldn't answer.
I don't have a camera at the moment, so I'll try to describe it.

1: DWM markings on the top.
2: Marked germany (lower case) on the right side of the frame.
3: Crown over N, which I tracked to commercial for the transit authority ?
4: 6262 serial number on the barrel, again with crown n above it.
5: safety marked with the german word safety
6: It's 30 caliber.

That's about it. Anyone know any details about it? The lack of any other markings makes me believe it may have been some type of prototype or something. Obviously before the 9mm took over.

I'd also like to clean it, but I'm nervous as heck about following the dissasemble instructions on the site.

I actually fired the thing, (stupid idea) and it worked fine minus a jam or two because of the clips ancient condition. ( I think). A range master advised that I don't fire it, until I find out it's value.

So I tried to clean it up slowly, and I noticed that the clip is no longer locking in. I think there is a tiny part that may have fell out. I'm looking for a gunsmith to help me out....

Thanks,
-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

It is a commercial variant, if you bought from a gun shop, you probably paid close to what it is worth. So, what did you pay? A commercial 7.65mm is worth around $500-$700, sometimes more if in really nice shape...

Have no idea what a transit authority is for lugers? Crown N was the proof for commercial arms...

DWM made it, Germany shows it was sent to an English speaking country, probably the USA.

"Does anyone maintain this board" hmmm, trying to tick off the owner on your first posting?

Relax, read through the postings and do some searches.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
rjbuckley
User

Ed,
I paid 800.00 for it. The transit connection I made from this site actually.
Im really confused because I get conflicting stories from everyone I talk to.
I guess that's the way it is with antiques. I've never dealt with anything older than a 1970 gun. But I'll keep looking around.

Naa, Im not trying to tick off anyone. I've been here for the past three days with no new posts for this area, so I honestly thought it might be dead.

I don't know what my attraction is to this luger. All my guns are new. Glocks and new Colt 1911's. I just bought a gold cup trophy yesteday and it's the finest comp. pistol since sliced bread. But I just can't seem to get my mind off this luger...

Thanks for the help Ed! I appreciate all I can get. In some ways Im dissapointed and think that I should just put it in a glass case and forget about persuing it, and not think about the $800.00 I spent on it.

Cough it up to experience I guess.

Thanks again,
-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

$800 is not bad, there are lots of lugers that go for 3x that amount, in worst shape!

Unlike many forums, these are all interconnected, so folks may not post to ONE part, but in Military P08's, or Krieghoff's, etc. Go to the main page, and then If you look on the upper right corner of this page, you will see these, View New Posts, it will show you new posts since last time you visited. You can click on the one under it and see the posts from the last 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	printscreen.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1377  

Unread 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
policeluger
RIP

Until picture, well detailed pictures, are posted here, remember Ed's estimate was just that, an estimate. please try posting pictures and see what we can do here, also surf one of the larger dealers like www.simpsonltd.com, also under links ands resources to the left of screen and see what they are asking for a similar Luger....welcome to LF
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
rjbuckley
User

Alright
Thanks a ton. Your right Ed, this site is built a bit different than the other boards I've been on. Honestly I rarely goto a board because of most of the crap out there. But this board appears to be really well maintained.

Policeluger:
I'll get some picture up here as soon as I can bother someone about a camera. Keep in mind, I have zero interest in the monetary value. It's prurely about being a proud owner of a piece of history. That's why I bought the 8mm mauser.

I'd love to fire the luger on a permanent basis. But I think I jumped in this too soon without thinking of age of the material etc. If I can get the clip button fixed, which I broke by being a fool, I'll wind up putting it in a case to ponder at. I have enough other guns to fill my time. Besides, .30 cal is gets expensive to fire

My main interest now it to find out the date and where exactly and for what purpose or what group it was manufactured for.

Stay tuned for photos and thanks for again for the input.

-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Robert,

As Ed says, this is almost certainly a commercial DWM manufactured in the 1920s. Until you're able to post photos, knowing the lower-case script letter beneath the serial number on the front of the frame will allow us to give you an estimate of the year of manufacture.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
rjbuckley
User

Don,
Until I can bother my neighbors about a camera, I can tell you that the lower case script letter is an l (L) EL

How do I write script on a computer? (just kidding)
It's a lower case l as in lama.

Thanks,
-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #11
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

rb,

Per Jan Still's book, Weimar Lugers, it was manufactured in 1923.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
rjbuckley
User

Don,
Thanks a bunch. I think I need to get some books. A dealer is calling this thing a mauser. A friend at the range is calling it something else. With all these new terms, I really need to get some good research material in bound copy. I'll wager your answer is appropriate.

BTW: Im from CT, anyone know a reputable gun smith that would be willing to show me how to break this thing down and fix the clip release? I'd gladly pay for instruction.

Thanks again all,
-rb
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

The thing is; there were WW1 era DWM's made, there were Erfurts made, there were Simson's and Kreighoff's made, and DWM Weimar's made, then there were Mauser lugers, let alone the ones put together by Vickers for the dutch by DWM made parts. Dealers and gun show guys usually know 1/10th of what is in the books. Unless they are truely an expert, they simply don't know lugers. I refer to my book collection all the time, because the true knowledge is gathered there. Even then, there is old or incorrect knowledge in the books, and that is where each person comes in...

BTW, I am not sure how the MAGAZINE release could be damaged? My feeling is that it is stuck on the grip. Take the grip off and I bet it will release and hold correctly...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
rjbuckley
User

Ed,
Excellent response! The numerous types you mention is the origination for my confusion. But I digress. Books and study is where I need to be.

The MAGAZINE button is actually loose. (it goes in and out without any pressure on it) When I eject, the button could stay in an ejected position.
(it depends on gravity) If I push on the button from the right side of the gun, the button is out far enough on the left to now lock in the clip. It seems like there must be a spring there to keep it forced more to the left side of the gun, but I don't see one on the dissasemble diagrams on the site....
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Robert,

You are correct that you are missing the magazine button spring. It is a small, flat spring which slips under the side panel in the frame and a small slot milled into the mag release.

I'm sure that you can get one from someone on the Forum; Tom Heller (Lugerdoc) probably has one for sale.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #16
rjbuckley
User

Ahaaaa! I see it. The spring is there. I found a very tiny pin like part close to where I was working with it, shaped in an L. Im wondering if this is a 'pin' to keep the spring in place and pushed forward.

Another question I have though, is the removal of the hand grips. I can remove the screw at the bottom of the hand grip, but it looks like it has no value in keeping the grip in place. In fact I can't even see what the purpose of the screw is. The grips appear to be glued, or Im too nervous to see how to take them off.

If I can get the grips off safely, I can check to see if this 'pin' is fits in there.
Thanks Dwight.
-rb
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #17
rjbuckley
User

Wow. Ok. The grips came right off after I removed the screws and put a tiny bit of pressure on them from the inside of the mag space.
After that, I can see where the small part I've saved does belong there.
The only problem is, I removed the spring gently, touched it once or twice and it snapped right in half. Guess I'll need one of those springs

-rb
Unread 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
rjbuckley
User

If someone could put me in touch with LugerDoc, I'd appreciate it.
I'd also like to get another magazine for it, because I think the magazine is the cause for the jams I experienced when I fired it last week.

Thanks again folks. If it were'nt for nice people like you I would have given up. With this type of support I can see Im going to have a great relationship with lugers...

-rb
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
Ron Smith
User

Tom Heller's(Lugerdoc) e-mail address.

hellerarms@webtv.net
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #20
rjbuckley
User

Thanks Ron,
BTW: That symbol you use, isn't that a germanic rune from Elder Futhark?