LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Doug G.
User

Talking What's the stupidist thing you've done with a collectable.

I feel that I ought to share this tale of misfortune brought on by sheer stupidity with others who may learn something from it.
I have in my care a very nice condition Mauser 98 sporter with full Mannlicher type stock. When I got it I was proud to own it. It was all there right down to the claw mounted Kahles scope. As some may know claw mounts are quite unique to the rifle. Chances of lucking onto a scope and mounts that fit your gun are about like matching up a missing mag for you prized Luger. Mine was just such a thing.
I was going through things that I did not need anymore and found a few German scopes with claw mounts that I did not need anymore. Well to make a long story short I goofed up and sold the matching scope to my rifle! It only took me 6 months to discover this. How in the heck could I be so dumb! I sold them on Ebay, so I set about searching my feedbacks. I knew what state and city they went to, so that helped. I was able to get ahold of the buyer and arrange to buy the scope back. I paid him a bit more than he had paid, but it was worth it. Last week it came back home to me, unfortunately sometime in the past 6 months he had done some filing to the rear claw legs. It still fits, but is a little loose. I am presently having the legs welded to add on the damaged end.
Moral of the story, make sure you really really don't need things before you sell them!
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote