LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
noping
User

Default Hoping for some ID info

Hello,

Just inhereted my Grandfather's Luger. He was in the 88th Quartermaster and saw action from Normandy to Ardennes. He picked up this Luger along the way. I'll post some more pictures, the quality of these is pretty poor, the camera battery is dying so the autofocus won't do its job.

The condition is great. Although it was in a bad shed for the past 6 months or so. All of the numbers (s/n 1823), including the clip, match. I still have his discharge papers showing he left the service with the Luger, clip and holster (I'll get to that, I think it is the most intriguing piece)

Here's a rundown of markings.

The toggle inscription is the Deutsche Waffenund Munitionsfabriker.

The barrel and left side of the chamber have the nitro stamp (upright).

The thumb saftey is on in the rear position.

The clip is aluminum with wooden plug. The s/n matches the Luger but is also marked with a "16"

Wood grips. squared and knurled toggle knobs.

The gripstrap is marked "L. Mi. 16."

Below the s/n on the barrel is a cursive "L" or "t". It looks almost like cherries.

On the frame just under the s/n on the front is a cursive "t"

The right side of the chamber has an eagle (the picture isn't great) over "W(?)A66" ? I can't tell if this is a really small "a", "2" or "z".

The proof mark on the barrel is well aligned and looks very clean coming to a point.

Now for the holster. I hope to get some pictures of it up tomorrow. It is a P38 holster (accorging to the stamp on the back) that has been heavily modified. The extra clip pouch was taken off. Between the belt loops on the back is an eagle over a swastika with a "920" stamped offset along the lower right of the swastika. And "cey" above a "4" just above the eagle. The flap has been cut down to a single strap. The closing strap has been moved from a diagonal to vertical. And on the cut down flap is an RAD hat insignia. The pin was taken off it was turned upside down and the ends of the wheat are run through two slits and bent in to hold it on.

Well that's about it, if you have anything else to ask, I'll try and answer and I'll try and get some better pictures up soon. THanks for any help you can give.
noping is offline   Reply With Quote