LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Range Report P08 vs P38

I just started collecting again last year. In the past Iâ??ve had Lugers and P38s, but have not shot one in 30 years. Anyway, I went to the range yesterday to try out and compare my Luger shooter and a WWII P38 that I picked up at a show.

Hereâ??s what I used:

My Luger shooter is a 1915 DWM with a mismatched toggle. It has an excellent bore with no pitting â?? just a little frosty. It has not been misused and functions flawlessly.

The P38 is a 1943BYF. Hardly used with a mirror bore.

I warmed up with 100 rounds through a Series 80 Gold Cup.

Now, the targets were only 35 feet away in an indoor range. I have some trouble at this range because of the weak lighting and my weak eyes. I can see distance, but not close up. I shoot with weak reading glasses so I can see the sights â?? though the target is somewhat blurry. I used 115 gr Winchester FMJ. Now, keep in mind that I have never shot these pistols before (or anything like them for 30 years). The under 2â? group is 8 shots with the P38. The wider spread is 6 shots with the Luger. I did like the sights better on the P38. Anyway, 200 rounds later with both of these and I was still shooting better with the P38.

Now, everything I read says the P38 is extremely inaccurate compared to the P08. I have to admit, before I brought the first target back from the P38. I thought I missed the paper altogether â?? and then I saw the hole in the middle. Someone had even drifted the front sight over by a little more than 1/32â? I was going to correct it - maybe not!

So, thought this may be of interest and would generate some comments, observations from those better acquainted with these pistols than I am.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tar1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	111  

southriv is offline   Reply With Quote