LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Post Steyr (Pieper) M1908/34 7.65 Austrian Police Rig

I have been on the "lookout" for one of these ever since I found the smaller Steyr M1909 in 6.35mm at the Las Vegas Antique gun show a while back. Althoug certainly not a Luger in terms of sheer elegance and sexiness these pistols exhibit some of the same characteristics we love in Lugers--namely the excellent craftsmanship and fit and finish. There is one on Bob Adams web site that I had considered that is in very nice condition. However, I just couldn't convince myself to buy it at that price. So I have been looking everywhere and finally found one from a collector thinning out his collection--it was worth the wait and the price was exceptional. These pistols exhibit a very high degree of precison machining and are a testament to the skillful work of old world craftsman. The Steyr M1908 pistols were reworked in 1934 for the Austrian Police and "beefed up" becasue of some slide and other parts deterioration issues thus the 1908/34 designation. When Austria was aborbed by the Third Reich the Austrian police became part of the NNPS. Some of these pistols are commercial Eagle/N proofed (after 4-1-1940) most have Austrian proof marks and many bear the Austrian State Security Service "S.W." markings on the rear/back grip strap. This one is of that group. Mr. Still says these pistols are listed in the 1943 German Police weapons manual--see "Axis Pistols" page No. 248 upper photo description Figure 70a.

This one is serial number 51219 P and Austrian Police district marked on the rear grip strap SW. 7663. This pistol has full checkered wood grips but they also came with black hard rubber grips with the Steyr logo. Each magazine is marked with that 7663 number and further marked number I and number II. The pistol also came with an original excellent condition Austrian hardshell holster (which is one of two (2) kinds made for this pistol). This holster is exactly like the one pictured in the book "German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945" Volume III page No. 253 by Robert D. Whittington III. The holster is not marked. The pistol is all matching and in very excellent condition.

I have also included a picture showing both the Steyr M1909 (mentioned above) and the Steyr M1908/34 for comparison. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if anyone else has one of these pistol I know I would very much enjoy seeing a picture of it. Any further information or details about these fascinating pistols anyone can provide is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote