LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-15-2002, 11:13 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Post Brad Simpson,...HK Luger Follow-Up...?

Hello Brad,

In the "Faked & Boosted" thread, you made, what I believe is a very serious accusation about a 1940 HK luger becoming a much more rare and conditoned 1941 HK luger; as shown in Randal Gibson's "The Krieghoff Parabellum" and as shown on pages 175 and 179 in that book. Guns in question where reportedly owned by Mr. Harold Skinner and Mr. Ralph Shattuck.

Many of us on the Forum do not know what to think regarding these guns and your accusation.

Have you confirmed, with Mr. Randall Gibson, your suspicions ? Please let us know if this is mere speculation on your part or substantiated with more information and documentation.

Again in the Forum's spirit of giving folks the benefit of doubt and being fair, I would like to propose a possibility to consider :

1. I have taken photographs (with my digital camera) of one of my lugers on different days, with different ambient lighting, and with/without flash; and have ended up with two (2) sets of photos of the same gun that appear to be totally different guns as far as finish and polish.

2. Is it possible that the publisher got several photos of the side-views of the same gun (Mr. Skinner's HK luger) mixed up with another photo of the top of Mr. Shattuck's HK luger, reportedly another serial number altogether ? And this is what might be shown on page 179 ?

3. If such an expertly "gifted" forger took a 1940 HK and worked it to a more rare and condition-improved 1941 HK, why would this "artisan" have not altered the serial nubmer at the same time, he so expertly modified the chamber date ? In my opinion, your position just not seem plausible.

I know some of you are saying..."Oh boy, here goes Pete again asking if pigs can fly...".

But I would like to know more about this accusation and if Mr. Randal Gibson is/was on the record about what appears in his book on pages 175 and 179.

Also Brad, have you personally discussed this with Mr. Shattuck ? I would think that would be the gentlemanly thing to do, before posting such an accusation here on the Forum. After all, the luger fraternity seems to be a fairly small group of folks that run into each other every year at gun shows and all.

I understand Mr. Skinner passed away 10 years ago, so cannot provide any commentary.

Respectfully,

Pete...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote