LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-28-2003, 02:32 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Exclamation Broken Parts Survey--Finished!

After a long procrastination I have finished the broken parts survey. I am posting it here, and have sent it to Ed Tinker for inclusion in the FAQ. Thanks to everyone who responded.

--Dwight

Those of us who shoot our Lugers are alert to the possibility of breaking the occasional part on these 60- to 100-year-old guns. Those of us who collect as well know how much a broken/replaced part can reduce the value of our guns.

But, what parts are likely to break in use? This brief survey was taken in the fall of 2002 to try to determine a pattern of potential parts breakage. The intent was to identify parts which break as a result of shooting, but a couple other noteworthy results cropped up.

The Takedown Lever (or Locking Lever) spring This is the tiny spring which holds the takedown lever in position. Although this spring is unaffected by shooting, it spends its entire existence in a compressed state, and is exercised whenever the lever is moved. It can, therefore, be use stressed even in a Luger which is never shot. It is interesting to note that this is the second most broken part.

The Million-Dollar Chip, the little piece of the left grip plate behind the safety lever which is commonly broken away; so called because that is the total amount all the Lugers which are missing this piece have been devalued. Several respondants mentioned this grip breakage, but it appeared to be beyond the scope of the survey as a condition of the pistol, rather than as a factor of active use, and I was not going to include it. However, recently I was at the range shooting a number of my Lugers; when I offered an LP-08 to a shooting companion, I noticed that the chip was missing from the grip. It was there when the shooting session started, usage therefore is one cause of this condition. This is not reflected as a statisitc, merely mentioned as a cautionary note.

Lugers are a robust, sturdy pistol, designed to use ammunition more powerful than that found commercially, at least in the U.S. Although they are finely crafted (and considerably hand-fitted) machines, they are in no way 'fragile'. They are great fun to shoot, and incredibly accurate. Over the course of 60-100 years, however, metal can become fatigued, crystallized, parts can develop microscopic cracks. Care should be taken for one's personal safety, as well as for maintaining the value of our Lugers.

--Dwight Gruber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been 22 respondants to the survey, although by the nature of the answers this represents more actual pistols than this number.

ejector** 11

takedown spring 7

extractor* 6

grip screw** 3

rear toggle axle pin*** 3

trigger lever pin 2

breechblock* 2

rear toggle piece* 2

holdopen spring 2

firing pin* 2

grip safety spring 1

holdopen* 1