LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
TomJohn
User

Default How Many Martz Baby Lugers Were Made?

I'm new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong discussion forum for this thread. I recently bought what I think is a Martz baby luger. It is in the white, has a 2.25" barrel, shortened frame at the grips, and under the side plate, on the frame, it is stamped JM (not JVM) in an oval. Also, under the sideplate, it has MSTR, and a 53 (with a reverse 3) in an oval. Beside that 53 is another correct 53, not in an oval. I assume this is a production number. The toggle inscription is the figured script DWM. I know the meaning of DWM and MSTR. It is fitted with the MSTR. I'm a collector and have several lugers.

The frame and receiver are mismatched serials, with the frame having a four-digit over script 'a' serial number, and the receiver having three late DWM acceptance marks and an Imperial Army proof. The receiver is chamber-marked 1916. The three magazines are fitted (shortened) WWII-era with unmarked aluminum bases. Each has a tiny waffenamt eagle over 37 on the upper frame. Two of the bases are pinned thru the finger grips and the frame is blue, while the third is pinned thru the magazine frame and appears tin plated. The walnut checkered grips are spliced horrizontally midway, and one side is done so well it is unnoticeable from the front. The pistol is 9mm.

My main curiosity is wondering how many Martz baby lugers were made. I've seen references to "approximately 213", and "less than 300". I realize it could be far more than that. If anyone has some definitive information, or a reference, I would appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by TomJohn; 06-28-2023 at 04:46 PM.
TomJohn is offline   Reply With Quote