LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
spripple33
User

Default wartime modified P.04 holster?

I just won my first Luger holster, a beautiful 1st var. Navy holster, on GB for a very reasonable price and want to share my thoughts/ask for everyone's opinion on it.
The horizontal piece on the rear wall of the holster that the shoulder straps go through has been removed and two large vertical slits cut completely through. The slits themselves are sloppy but the edges of the cuts are very clean. One slit runs completely off the edge but only cuts through the rear wall. There are small indentations in the leather on the outer edge of each slit near the top. The pull-up strap is missing and seems to have fallen victim to these modifications.
This damage may have scared off collectors looking for a "nicer" Navy Luger holster but I believe it could be a wartime modification done by the U.S. soldier who captured the holster (and probably the P.04 it contained) as a trophy. To me, this makes it more interesting than a pristine example that may not have even seen action...
The indentations at the top of the slits look as if they could have been made by one of the metal clips used to attach items to a WWI U.S. issue web belt. The slits are sloppy as if somewhat hurriedly cut. If this was done post-WWI, I would think the owner would try to be a little neater with the cuts, or maybe add a belt loop instead. Just a theory from a rookie.
I welcome all thoughts and opinions even if they contradict this theory. Regardless, I feel this holster has an interesting story to tell. Thanks!
-Jason
p.s. I couldn't resist adding a pic of it with my 1906 1st issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	80995  

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	80996