LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,361 Posts
Wink NY State of Mind: Corona Pistol Purchases

There may be other members here who live in NY State. But something tells me that if there are, none have had a similar experience to mine over the past couple of weeks because we'd have heard about it by now!

Last month, a couple of nice, low bids paid off for me at online auctions. (Actually, at this point, I don't think there's any other kind, although some tout previews of lots on site with an appointment.)

First, an example of the newest small-frame Llamas--now being made in the Philippines on CNC machines instead of a factory in Spain. They are offered as a blow-back .380 They've been reviewed fairly favorably, similar to Armscor's Rock Island "Baby Rock," as functioning well on lots of different ammo, and satisfactorily accurate. They also have nice, big modern sights, white dots and all, which is something the old-time variations from the original manufacturer always lacked. They have a basic matte finish, nothing to write home about.

Next adoptee is a Chiappa 1911-22 in great shape for under $200. These are full-sized semi-autos, although lighter due to the aluminum slide the .22 lr needs. Less than half the price of a .22 lr1911 conversion kit...

It is the policy of the Schuyler County Clerk's Office that firearms owners are provided a "seed" purchase coupon. I think that in all other counties in the state, you proceed next to the Clerk after you've decided on a gun, to obtain a coupon that is in turn given to the dealer in order to unlock the background check and the transfer after you've returned with it. The spare coupon Saves a trip back to the dealer, and allows you to undergo the vetting and have the gun transferred to you right after you've paid for it. Your receipt takes the place of its actual addition to the permit until you register it at the Clerk's office. Since I had to pick up two guns, I needed to have two purchase coupons when I did (do), which necessitated a single trip to the clerk beforehand, to preregister both, and to get two coupons, which would net me the usual spare after the transfers.

In the meantime, the clerk's office closes to all but emergencies. Easy enough, I found, to accomplish by mail in the time before the second pistol arrives. I got the pair added to my permit card no problem, but the clerk--who's currently working the office by herself--forgot to include the coupons. OK, they should arrive tomorrow.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from the auction house, as it was approaching the 14-day max time the literature said it might take to ship lots. An email to them revealed that they had the wrong FFL associated with my purchase, They said they'd been trying to get ahold of me to clear it up, but no email, phone call, or voice mail had ever arrived. I think it's the same auction house who'd screwed up before by sending my gun to the FFL of another buyer with a similar name! But ultimately no biggie, and it was shipped Monday--and they acquiesced to my request for a refund of shipping charges.

Up until this week, my dealer had been willing to do the transfer--observing virus-mitigating protocol. He had also asked that I show up at 8 A.M. because the chances of avoiding an hour on hold with NICS were best. Any later in the day, and the California stores would be opening and adding traffic to the system commensurate with the current buying panic.

The end of the saga for now happened yesterday, when my dealer said he wouldn't be allowed to do it after all, now that the official "lock-down" has tightened and gun dealers, unfortunately, aren't considered "essential" by the state, which would ultimately find out if he'd been open by their end of the info associated with the background check. He related one tale of someone who'd gotten fined, and I'd heard of another that received a letter to cease and desist during the crisis. Bummer. Now we have to wait until this blows over to get my new children in-hand.

Sort of related is that I was able to buy a box of .45 Colt today from another dealer about a block North of Gunblack, where I'd been able to leave some parts to be blued in a container that I put inside their vestibule as I waved to Steve, the owner, through the window. I called ahead to the gun shop to see if he was open, told him what I wanted, and he provided sanitary curb service--I never left the car. I think my other dealer would have done the same. He did say that people could pick up long guns because their processing doesn't undergo the same scrutiny.