LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
Firebugs
User

Default Value detractors

Hello all,

I've been looking into lugers passively for about 5 years, and then a lot more seriously once I found out what my tax return would be this year

My main focus is in German P08's and Swiss variants. I have a pretty decent grasp on the general things, models, production years, variations in parts and finishes. However, what isn't so easy to nail down is pricing/value. I can follow a few websites like Simpson's Ltd. and others for general trends, but there are enough variables that in some cases tracking down where the price comes from becomes difficult.

So, I'm going to pose a series of questions... The baseline is there are 2 lugers, in identical condition with sequential serial numbers from the same block, year, etc... We'll say at 90-95% condition 1936 or 1937 P08 with blue/straw S/42. What is the value detraction from the following? These don't need to be gospel, and I understand it can vary from person to person-- just looking for guidance here as I'm fairly in the dark.

a) One is all matching, one has a mismatched magazine

b) One is original, one is refinished

c) One is a vet bringback, the other has a new import mark
i) The other has an older import mark and/or british export mark

d) One is matching except the magazine, the other has 1 or 2 small parts either mismatched or un-numbered (that typically are numbered)

Also, what's the correlation between a gun from a place like Simpson's and the going rate on auction sites like Gunbroker? I see a lot of GB auctions with similar or lower prices to Simpson's that have 0 bids. I ask this one because I bid on and won a GB auction this week that ended up ~350-450 cheaper than what I'd estimate the pistol would've ended up on Simpson's. I was very much expecting my bid to be out-done and had a couple on his page (one of which is in the same serial suffix block of the same year) that I was ready to buy so it came as pleasant surprise to win the auction. I'm wondering if I got lucky or?

GB link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/80166...McQJ-VIOuNFP9A

Sorry or a long-winded loaded question first post!

Appreciate any insight!
Firebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Firebugs for your post: