LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Post 1916 DWM Military

Imperial Lugers are fascinating. Given the magnitude of the conflict during the first World War, the Luger under went a number of significant and substantial changes even after it was accepted as the "P.08" by the military. Some of these changes included the addition of the "lug" (machined into the frame ), the addition of the "hold-open" (which was dropped in the original Military contract - See Mr. Wood's comment later in this thread) and in 1916, as in this specimen, the inclusion of the relieved sear bar. For this update specifically, it allowed the Luger's toggle to be cycled by hand, while the safety was engaged. Previous to this specific modification (transition year - 1916), the safety bar, as it was held against the sear bar, would prevent the toggle/action from being cycled while engaged.

I would like to take a minute to credit Mr. Jan Still excellent published works (Imperial Lugers), and other research/text/pictures contained in text offered by Mr. Datig, Mr. Kenyon and Mr. Jones as being the source for much of the information presented in this review.

Speciman: 1916 DWM Military - Serial Number: 2225i

Overall condition 85%+ Blue with 10% straw. No apparent rust, one slight pitting area 2mm x 2mm on left/top barrel. Bore - excellent. Original finish.

According to Mr. Still (PP13 Imperial Lugers), approximately 140,000 DWM Lugers were produced during 1916. Most saw hard use during the next years, and this specimen was obviously a field piece. Not Unit Marked - it is a representative example of military production during wartime years. To note, most Military Marked Lugers (especially Erfurt manufactured) are some of the most richly proofed/stamped Lugers known to exist.

Showing the overall grey/blue finish, this specimen is typical of the DWM Wartime production.
Left Side:

Right Side:

The proofs/acceptance stamps as they were applied during production. According to Still (PP 22, footnote 5 - Imperial Lugers) they are in order (left to right and I paraphrased Mr. Still's footnote): 1St Inspection (Chamber hardened, Chamber Date Applied); 2nd Inspection (serial Number applied and ready for test fire); 3rd Proof (the piece survived test firing at 20% over-charge of military specified ammunition); Acceptance (the Luger passed final fit/finish and inspection):

After that, the barrel land gauge was applied:

A picture of the serial number and Military Serialization as it was applied to receiver and the take-down:

And the Serial Number of the Luger as it appears on the frame front. Note the Luger Serial Number is correct with the letter suffix - and in this case "i":

A three-quarter view of the military serialization:

Frame Overview
The frame will be discussed by looking at certain sections.
First is the front frame well. You will note the following - "1", "N", "P", "6" and what appears to be an "X":

John D. is offline   Reply With Quote