LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Waveski
User

Default Ugly Stovepipe

Shot my 1916 DWM for the second time today. I experienced a problematic malfunction - a stovepipe combined with a round which became partially stripped from the magazine. A round had been stripped and chambered ; perhaps while pulling the toggle back to dislodge the stovepiped casing I engaged a second round from the mag? So , what I had once I had cleared stuck casing was a chambered round , plus another round which was half in - half out of the magazine , and lodged up against the chambered round. The result was that I could not drop the mag because it was still holding on to the back half of the round , and could not clear the second round for the same reason. Naturally , the toggle was trying to do it's job of pushing the round forward , and , unable to climb the feed ramp the bullet of the secound round came to rest tightly under the rim of the chambered round. Round two was really tight. (Wordy , but I think I have described the situation ...)

I found that I could not hold the toggle tight back and free up a hand to dislodge the second round , because the toggle hold back maneuver is a two handed operation. I found myself wishing that there was a hold-open mechanism which could be manually engaged despite a loaded magazine. I found that I wish I had paid closer attention to my father cursing in German years back , as it would have been appropriate in my situation. After some trial and error -with no small degree of discomfort dealing with a hot , jammed weapon , I opted to brace the grip against a piece of cardboard on the ground , force the toggle fully back with one hand , and pry the stuck second round free with a small screw driver. Not the safest thing I have ever done , but better than driving home with the hot gun - which was out of the question.

So , comments as to prevention of a reoccurence? Better way of dealing with the situation? Similar experiences to share?

Standing by , 'Ski
Waveski is offline   Reply With Quote