LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
battering ram
User

Default my new luger and cleaning it

Got my beautiful 1937 Luger thanks to the help from this forum....i decided to dissemble and do an intense cleaning...i used Hoppes and remington oil w/ q-tips...i found area's of brown coloring in most of the corners of the gun...i assumed its rust starting in, so i spent hours detailing this gun...i was able to get 95% of it out except for the corners where i cant get into..probably 200+ q-tips....even the normal looking area's i got brown off of....after looking at how rust-blue is done im starting to wonder if this is a normal-ish thing?...i used oil and fine steel wool to clean off some of it....no pitting, no orange...just brown areas....the steel wool helped w/ no damage to the finish....

when i was done i sprayed the heck out of everything with rem. oil so it was dripping and cleaned it once again......the part of the white lettering in the GESICHERT just floated up in chunks...not happy..when i wiped it it just came up......1/2 of the word is still intact w/ no issues.....no harsh chemicals were used...just hoppes...the rest of the word had no issues and is solid...im wondering if this word was filled in many years ago and my cleaning took the crayon or whatever it was out......my evidence is it came out of the stamping in chunks....and when wiped it just disintegrated into nothing......i am not sure to be frustrated w/ myself for damaging my gun? or if this was faked many years ago and i just unveiled it.......either way it is what it is...sad to think it lasted 80 years and only 1 day with me...

pictured is a before/after picture....also w/ my new holster thanks to a forum member

battering ram is offline   Reply With Quote