LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Rick W.
User

I suspect that when Lugers were first built way back when, that the parts were uniquely hand fitted to one another in a particular pistol. During the process, one can imagine that the firearm assembly is assembled/disassembled several times for fit and finish; probably to include the barrel/receiver interface. Numbering might be a way of keeping track of what parts go with what parts(assembly). Some believe that the index mark across the barrel shoulder and receiver face is an indicator as well, some do not; kinda like numbering to some degree.

Today to some numbering means little, it is the fit that really matters. Of course, the converse is true. Lots of funny money in the later in my opinion, but to each their own. Just what one enjoys; more power to everyone.

To the collector, breaking an "original" part is heartbreaking from several points of their view. Breaking an "original" part to a shooter, simply means another part has to be replaced and fitted to the pistol.

After a 100+ years of sometimes hard existence and reworks of various good and bad types, some find it hard to imagine that original Lugers exist still. I guess I am in that group; but lots of folks collect based on some concept of originality purely too.

Originality has many definitions, some to the seller and some to the buyer I guess. Sellers seem to always know what is really original and what is not.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote