LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
gwbeyer
New User

Default Damage to breechblock around extractor

I have discovered some damage to the breechblock near the extractor after firing my Luger. The damage is seen at the front of the breechblock on either side of the extractor. There are travel limiting lips built into the breechblock that will allow the extractor to only raise so far. The metal has apparently been hammered by the extractor and raised upward. I'm a little surprised that the extractor would be raised with such force during cycling...

A little history: I have had this pistol a long time and it had been reblued at least once before I got it. I subsequently polished, then rust blued the entire bolt assembly after replacing the rear toggle, which had cracked.

Suspecting too much material had been removed in refinishing, I made some measurements and compared them to those on the Luger Blueprints DVD I purchased years ago. The drawing shows the measurement of these limit lips to be 1.3 mm (.051") top to bottom. On my Luger they measure about .035". I cannot read German well enough to determine the tolerance on this spec.

FYI, my load is 4.5 gr. of VV N350 behind the 124 grain RCBS 9MM-124-RN bullet in wheelweight alloy. This load cycles beautifully.

So, what's the verdict from those of you that may have seen this in the past? Do I start looking for a numbers matching (33) DWM breechblock, or is there something more involved going on here?

Gary