LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
SmithSwede
User

Default Markings on my "new" Swiss

Ok, I've finally joined the club. Acquired an 06/29 Swiss Luger, with the red plastic grips and red magazine button. Serial is 5039x.

Can somebody help me identify the various markings I see? Tell me where to look for other markings? Any comments, tips, or suggestions welcome.

Here we go:

---magazine seems nickel plated. No serial number. Red plastic button. Full of a thick grease. On rear of magazine near the red plastic base, there is a stylized capital "P". Does that refer to some inspector?

---Frame of gun.

Interior of frame. The "well" next to take down lever has a capital "S". Beneath that is "9.33". I'm assuming 9.33 means made in Sept 1933. Not sure about the "S."

Rear of frame. Behind spring hook. Looks like a capital "N" overlaid with a rifle symbol? Or a harpoon? Not sure.

eft side of frame. Extreme rear of frame, behind safety, seems to have two vertical pinprick marks. Does that indicate re-finishing or arsenal work?

--left side of trigger. A cross in front of pivot pin

--forward of takedown lever is serial number. Preceding the number looks like a rectangle, with a capital "M" inside, and some other mark above.

---right side of frame. Extreme rear toggle area. 4 vertical pinprick marks. Arsenal work?

--in front of trigger on frame above trigger guard is a large capital "P.".

Barrel. Seems a reddish "plum" color. Noticeably different bluing from rest of pistol. Replacement barrel? Normal?

Serial number on rear of barrel next to receiver matches. Seems like a "BP" mark directly vertical on barrel next to receiver, except the "B" is backwards.

Bottom of barrel next to receiver. Small cross.

Receiver lug. Last 3 digits of serial number.

Underneath of receiver, left side, rear. The same weird capital "N" overlaid with rifle/harpoon/something.

Underneath of receiver, right side, rear. Looks like capital letter "CG". Name of inspector?

---Toggle. Matching serial number toward rear. Swiss cross in middle. "Geladen" on left side of extractor.

In left side rail of bolt assembly there is a Swiss cross and again the capital letters "CG."

The toggle spring "hook" is silver colored, with Swiss cross and again the "CG."

Underneath rear portion of toggle assembly on left side is Swiss cross, on right side is "CG."

More generally:

All the witness marks on barrel to receiver and front sight to barrel seem dead perfect.

On the other hand, I'd say the gun was refinished, albeit very well. Arsenal work?

The side plate/trigger lever is has wear underneath the bluing. But it's also matching last 3 digits of serial number, with an "FP" above a Swiss cross on the body. The trigger lever itself is silver, again with Swiss cross and "CG."
SmithSwede is offline   Reply With Quote