LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
drman60
New User

Default My first Luger - an M23 Finn

I bought this M23 off Gunbroker last week for $830. Seems like a lot for a mixmaster but I have a soft spot for Finnish firearms and really wanted a Luger that I could shoot without worrying about breaking a part on an all matching gun. Since this is my first Luger, I am still learning and would be interested in any comments or observations you might care to make. I beleive that it started life as a 1920s commercial (alphabet) luger. I've attached a link to lots of photos. Here's what I think I know :
•Serial number appears to be 3138q but the q is very faint having been partially scrubbed or lightly stamped. Please take a look and see what you think. If it is a q, that number would fit nicely with other M23s on the sticky list, 3139q was an SA stamped M23 in .30 cal.
•3 3/4" Tikka barrel is bright and shiny
•Loads and shoots great
•No import stamps
•Side plate numbered 51
•Take down liver numbered 11
•Trigger is the only matching part (38)
•Most other numbers have been scrubbed.
•41 dated barrel extension with a strange, purple brownish finish. Seems strange that the 41 was not scrubbed and the part reparked. Maybe it was an urgent repair during the Continuation War?
•Faint crown over N on the toggle
•A "T" shaped stamp mark in two spots on the inside of the receiver. An "X" in one spot
•Many SA stamps visible. Looks like it might have gone through many, many refurbs
•Safety lever chipped LH grip. Empty spot for brass tag on RH. Neither are numbered
•Wood bottom mag with two different numbers, neither matching the receiver.
•Marks on the bottom of the toggle seem to match those on the receiver, making me think it really is a DWM receiver.
•Finnish front sight with rear notch widened to match

Here's a link to the photos:

http://s273.photobucket.com/user/DRM...innish%20Luger

Last edited by drman60; 01-26-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Fix link to pictures
drman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finnish, luger, m23, p08