LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
JesseMc
User

Default First Post – DWM 30 Caliber Luger

Hello – I am new to Luger Forum, but have attempted to read through previous posts and hopefully post in an intelligent manner. I am researching, photographing, and documenting a Luger pistol and holster set that a friend’s father brought back from his service during WWII. The following is a description of the set with details (I am also uploading specific photos).

I would like to get some expert comments about this set, specifically: (1) What is the correct description of this pistol (Military, Commercial); (2) What is the approximate date of manufacture; (3) Who manufactured it and where; (4) What is its possible value of the complete set (if she decides to sell it); (5) Is it true that broken “Hold-Open Latch” will not affect shooting; and (6) Is it possible to get a replacement “Hold-Open Latch”, possibly with a “39” marking? If so, what would be the approximate cost for this?

Here is what I have so far (I will be uploading photos as well):

The Set: The pistol is a 30 caliber (7.65mm), with “Hard Shell” holster, and two (2) clips. This pistol has a 3” barrel and the top of the toggle is marked with “39” and the “DWM” scroll imprint (no dates at all). The pistol appears to be original finish (blue) with some rubbed areas on exterior and a few lightly pitted areas on frame where grips touch frame. The “Hold Open Latch” (marked “39”) is there, but the right-angled tab (facing toward the chamber) which actually holds toggle open has broken off and is missing.
Serial Number: “8239”, with “39” on all gun parts (external/internal). I have NOT attempted to remove and/or check the firing pin.
Other Markings: Under the barrel there are three (3) markings: A “Crown” with pentagon; a large “N”; the S/N “8239“; and then a curving script type marking almost like an “Infinity” mark. At the mating of barrel and chamber, there is the mark made after barrel was fully screwed-in and tightened (appears to be intact and original indent showing no changes to barrel). On the frame below the chamber, there is the S/N “8239” and that curving script type marking almost like an “Infinity” mark. Inside the frame (machined out area), forward of the chamber, there are two marks which appear to be a “W” and possibly a “N” or inverted “V”.
Magazines: One with S/N “8239” and “P”; the other is S/N “9969”, and what appears to be a letter “h” in cursive script. Both magazines are bright metal, with tight grain (maple?) wooden base caps which are in very good condition, and the springs are in excellent condition. There are a few slight discoloration spots on the metal of the magazines.
Holster: Black leather “Hard Shell” with inside flap pocket for the pistol tool. The pistol “Tool” is located in the top of the holster flap, and is marked “8239” and the letter “P”. The flap pocket is in excellent shape and is still tight to fasten down over the post (button). There are two (2) belt loops on the reverse, and a belt type fastener to hold the hard-shell top down. There is a leather strap on the inside of holster, with tab showing outside for lifting the pistol upward in the holster. The black ink markings on inside of top shows “R.B.D., Stuttgart, and 1939”. The indented markings on the reverse side of holster are: “HANSROMER, NEU ULM”. There are no other markings on the reverse side. The front edge of the holster has the additional magazine holder which is in excellent condition. All stitching is fully intact and tight.

Any help in providing details about this particular gun, as well as the possible value of the entire set, will be greatly appreciated. If anyone in the Luger Forum is located in Indiana area (I am in Indianapolis), can you let me know how to contact you? I would be more than willing to bring the gun set to you so you can see what we have. THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Complete Set.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	37105  

Name:	02-Toggle (DWM).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	37106