LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
lamarbrog
User

Default First Luger- Identifying proof marks.

I recently acquired a P08 and want to learn more about it. It's definitely a shooter, and the previous owner had used it as just that and couldn't tell me much about it.

It is a DWM made in 1916. The frame and receiver have serial number "8659". The safety has a "59". Everything else that is serialized does not match.

The side plate has no serial number on it, and I think it may actually be an aftermarket part, as strange as that sounds. The bolt and upper receiver have what I identified as "German Military Proofs" thanks to the technical information provided on the site.

I am almost certain this has been reblued, although a good job was done.

The barrel has me puzzled. It may be rebarreled. There is a circle, that appears to have "KK" in the upper half, and a "10" in the lower half. The is a "19" elsewhere on the barrel. I can't see an indexing mark. There is a "9" near the muzzle. An indexing mark is visible on the upper receiver, but not on the barrel. Is it an aftermarket barrel?

The right grip panel is a little loose, but not bad.

A few technical questions-

How damaging is it to this pistol to dry fire it? I generally dry fire my pistols unless there is a good reason not to. Any special considerations for the Luger as far as that goes? (Firing pin is already not-matching.)

The other question I have, not that the answer really matters.... is this pistol capable of firing with the upper assembly detached from the frame? I've just been examining how it functions, and it appears that since the knobs would not interact with the frame to begin unlocking, it would fire normally without the frame just by pressing the linkage on the side. I don't intend to try this- but is it known to be possible?

Just trying to find out as much as I can about this. I don't see any import marks. Just a run of the mill refinished parts gun, I guess.
lamarbrog is offline   Reply With Quote