LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Another grip safety question

Shortly after I receive a care package from Lugerdoc, I will have replaced three grip safety springs, one in each of three of my Lugers-- 2 '06 AE and a 29/70 Mauser.

I've noticed that the recoil spring rides pretty close to the grip safety spring, and in one case is actually touching it. In this case, the reciol spring seems a little more serpentine than the others, not maintaining a very straight course along its length, and, as mentioned, the recoil spring actually is in contact with the grip safety spring.

With the mechanical arrangement as described, what is the likelihood that interference from the recoil spring will cause the grip safety spring to break off, as was the found in two of the pistols? (The third had a rather deficient homemade spring in place, which I think was a replacement for yet another broken one.)

Thinking it through, the grip spring would be flexed into the corner of the passage behind the mag in the frame, in which the recoil spring moves, perhaps rendering the springs nowhere near each other when the pistol is fired, but if this is indeed an issue that demands attention, what should be done to keep the springs from interacting?

Thanks,

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote