LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Balder
User

Default Weimar politics and Lugers

Gentlemen,

It's funny how one thing can lead to another.

Even though I am a historian focusing on the 20th century, the German "Weimar"-period 1919-1933 has always been a bit fuzzy to me. Now, getting a 1911 DWM with some history to it made me take a dip into pre-WW1 German political history. I did the same thing when I acquired a 1918 Erfurt and a 1918/1920 DWM.

About this time I was kindly given the opportunity to pick whatever I wanted from a deceased - and very well read - old man's library. Among the titles I picked up was "Memoirs" by Franz von Papen, German chancellor prior to Hitler and a very central Weimar political player. My copy even turned out to be autographed by von Papen. It has its flaws, but it is still very interesting as a period-document written by a participant.

If there is anybody else out there interested in understanding the politial processes of the Weimar period, I stongly recommend this book. The author also shows good insight into the processes that finally led to Hitler's political rise.

Basically, Lugers rekindled a history flame in me. Just wanted to share.

Balder

Balder is offline   Reply With Quote