LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Need advice: 1939 "42" code Luger - Bakelite grips?

Hi,

I'm posting to get some advice on a new to me 1939 "42" code Luger that I'm purchasing. I'm in the 3 day inspection period.

The gun is an all matching Luger s/n 7190r with 1939 receiver and "42" code toggle.

The grips are not original to the gun, and have been replaced with a type 1 Bakelite grip (Left) and a type 4 Bakelite grip (Right).

The seller indicated that he bought this gun from Ralph Shattuck about 15 years ago.

The Luger is in excellent mechanical condition, and has a good bore.

I need advice on a couple of things:

- There is considerable finish wear, particularly on the rear handstrap, forward breech block and extractor.

At best, I'd estimate about 75% finish coverage. At what point does original factory finish wear take the Luger out of the "Collector" category?

- The bakelite grips are of two types. The left grip is a Type 1. It shows evidence of having been an original brown HK grip that has been lacquered over with black. While mostly intact, it shows brown highlights.

Were the original type 1 Mauser bakelite grips actually painted brown HK grips, or were they originally cast in black bakelite?

The right Type 4 grip also looks like it's been painted.

Both grips show characteristic screw holes as pictured in Hallock and Joop's "The Mauser Parabellum". Because of the lacquer they don't show the sharpness of those pictured.

Does the mismatch of the grips decrease their value, particularly if I decide to try and replace them with proper wooden grips?

- - - - -

Finally, I would appreciate if someone could PM me with some ideas of value of the Luger.

I'll prepare and post pictures shortly.

Thanks again,

Marc

Tags
1939, bakelite, mauser