LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
buchkshot
New User

Default Newly acquired Luger

Great forum, guys! This is my first post. I just stumbled upon a Luger that hasn't seen the light of day since the early 70's and have been performing a lot of research to determine its history. This gun has markings all over it. Am somewhat knowledgable about Colts, Winchesters, Garands and M1 carbines but need to get educated in the world of Lugers. Can you gentlemen recommend any books? (Walter and Still keep popping up in my reading).

Gun is a double dated 1916 1920 DWM. Piece shows some very, very minor pitting on edges of frame that was refinished in 1920. Three digit serial number ending in 11 is evident under barrel and on front of frame. All other parts, internally and externally, except mag and grip panels are marked 11. All markings are clear and crisp. Finish is 85% to 90% and am confident original to 1920. Any wear is honest holster wear.

Bottom of barrel is also marked 8.83, Top, rear of barrel bears a single fat imperial eagle.

Sear safety is installed.

Left side of barrel/receiver immediately in front of side plate bears three symbols. The first apears to be a shield within a shield, followed by two crowns over an M. Same shield shows up on left of toggle.

Now, the real interesting features. Rear grip strap is hand stamped I.S.B. with a light handstamped 619. immediately under same.

Front strap is engraved with the letters S.W.I. followed by a machine stamped 1448. All seven characters have been X'd out.

Grip panels are in excellent shape except the left panel in the upper left quandrant has a 1/4" square missing.

Left side of frame, immediately above grip panel, bears a 1/8" vertical cut exactly 3/8" back from side plate.

It gets better, as tool and holster bear the same three digit serial number. Holster also bears the logo L.Z.A. over an eagle which is over Berlin.c

Mag is typical WWII issue. Holster bears some honest period repairs but is complete.

Based on my reading over the last three days, I have my own ideas as to origins and early and intermediate history but would enjoy reading your assessment(s). Will ask my son to post images before he goes away to school. And, last but not least, please share with me any conservative wholesale and retail range as to current market value. Thanks!
buchkshot is offline   Reply With Quote