LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
rmc
User

Default Update: Luger Artillery Pistol

Hello All,

Back on December 31, 2009, I posted my first thread on the Luger Forum regarding a 1918 Artillery pistol I inherited from my uncle, and the trouble I was having getting it to function properly. Since then, I have become a member of the Massachusetts Rifle Association, purchased a SIG Sauer Mosquito (.22 cal) and a Sig Sauer P226 (9 mm), and I am truly enjoying my new-found hobby.

Having become proficient at cleaning the two SIGs, I thought I would pull the Luger out of my safe and give it a really good cleaning and see if I could get it to function. After field stripping it and really taking my time to do a proper cleaning job, I took it to the range to see if I could get it to work. After firing the first round, I encountered the original problem of the second round not firing. So, I carefully pulled back the toggle and the second round ejected. I then let the toggle snap shut and aimed downrange and the third round fired. After that, I put a total of 50 rounds through it with only 1 other misfire. It seems like it just needed to be slowly worked back into operational mode. (Just a hunch, but I welcome any opinions.)

Here's my question. Is is normal for the barrel to become quite hot? I accidentally touched the barrel after putting about 15 rounds through and it was very warm (almost hot) to the touch. I could keep my hand on the metal, but there was no mistaking the fact that a good deal of heat buildup had occurred. I was using Winchester White Box 115 grain ammunition, and I never loaded more than 5 rounds into the magazine at one time. So, ostensibly, I was slow-firing 5 rounds and then reloading 5 more rounds.

Also, the adjustable sight would creep up from the completely flat position to a slightly raised position after every round, and would continue to do so with every subsequent round if I didn't push it back down. Is there possibly a screw that needs to be tightened?

All-in-all it was an incredible experience . . . so much different than the SIGs. Now I know why people fall in love with Lugers. What a precision piece!

Thanks for any advice or information you folks can provide.

Ralph
rmc is offline   Reply With Quote