LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-01-2001, 03:25 PM   #1
Marvin
User

Default Latest Addition

Since I have been located on assignment in Florida, I have been able to make a couple of Luger purchases. The latest is a very late war Kreighoff! This was a pistol I was not at all familiar with, but with the kind help of John Dunkle, I think I made a pretty decent deal. John was so kind in helping determine that this was in fact a true Kreighoff, and I wanted to thank him publicly for his time and efforts in assisting me.

This Luger is one of the 200+- that was assembled at the factory by the workers for the US 11th Army that occupied Suhl for an approx. 2 week period before control was turned over to the Russians. This is probably the worst looking Luger which I own. It has no serial number, and the parts are mostly Mauser "42" replacement stamped. The frame is a 1941 or 1942 since it has the "P.08" stamp on the left rear area. The toggle assembly (and internal parts) are totally un-numbered except for the middle link with the large "42" replacement stamp and is still "in the white" with no bluing. The receiver was an original Erfurt or DWM part with the three (3) acceptance stamps, no Imperial proof stamp, and no chamber date. The barrel is a new Mauser part with an Eagle/655 stamp only. The finish is a total mismatch with the barrel bluing like new, the receiver a spotty, thin blue, and the frame has some type finish I have never seen before, as it is a very heavy finish which appears to be flaking. The grips are Mauser "S/42" replacements.

Now, what makes this "parts pistol" a Kreighoff? There is the Kreighoff Luftwaffe Proof/Acceptance Stamp, Eagle/2 on the right side of the receiver, in the normal location, in front of the Imperial stamps.

These Lugers were allowed to be made up for the occupation troops and any parts in stock were used. They appear to be parts left from the old Simson, Mauser stock, etc. The parts all appear to be totally out of specifications and were probably kept in the rework bins to be used at a later date if required.

This is a very unusual pistol which does appear to have been fired by someone, and I think it is probably safe to fire since the proof stamp is present. Since this pistol was actually assembled before the actual end of the war I consider it a wartime pistol, but not used by the Germans. It is not one of the PX Kreighoff Lugers since they did require a serial number be stamped on them. The only other explanation, is that it was a "lunchbox" special by a factory worker and he did have the pistol proofed fired (or just stamped it) and had himself a Luger. I just wish this one could talk also and be able to know what type story it could tell. Any comments on this one?

Marvin