LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
DaveinTN
User

Default Hold Open Protection.....

I just returned from the range after firing my "shooter" Luger for the first time. This was also another first... until today, I've never fired a Luger before!

My first impression of firing a Luger (a 22 or 23 Commercial with a new barrel), is that it "feels" more sound or tight than other semi auto's I've fired. It's difficult to describe, but it's as if the gun is better built than the others (and it probably is). I shot the better part of a box of Winchester 115 grain fmj in the white box from Wal-Mart and had zero jams. The gun is definitely fun to shoot.

However, the reason for this post is not to go on and on about my pistol (you sold me a good one, Hugh!), but to describe how I protected the hold-open. After reading numerous posts in the forum about hold open failures, I decided I wanted to do something to protect mine from possible damage or destruction.

So, when I loaded the magazine, the first cartridge I put in was a snap cap. All the rest were regular cartridges. By making the snap cap the last cartridge, I could eject it manually rather than have the hold open absorb the full impact of the bolt returning at high speed when the last round was fired. An added benefit of the snap cap was to let me monitor my trigger pull.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable shooting session. The sights will take some getting used to, but I'm delighted with the gun..

Many thanks,

Dave in TN.
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote