LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
mystical_tutor
User

Default MP-40 advice sought

I want to sell my MP-40 shooter. The new magazine law in Colorado appears to complicate that a bit.

Do any of you have any recommendations on how I should go about advertising it for sale? I am assuming I will not be able to sell the magazines for it unless I physically go to a state that would allow it.

Is there any Federal law yet that would prohibit my selling those magazines by mail as long as it does not violate a state law?

Really do not want to violate any laws in all this as I value law and my freedom both.

Thanks in advance

Gary

OH, and in case it needs to be said, yes, it is all legally owned and properly stored (and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot).
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

Gary, I am interested. Shoot me an email and we can talk.

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

Jerry

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Good Lord, I can't even imagine that the last panic law would halt the sale of magazines going out of CO. For real?
If you and Jerry don't get together on it I'll let you store it at my house...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If Jerry does not take what you are offering. Top dollar can be had over at Subguns.com or Sturmgewehr.com
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

Well as long as "Top Dollar" can be had I will respectfully back away..Thanks anyway.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
alanint
User

No offence, Jerry. I fully expected you to make your deal.
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
calibrator
User

I posted my friend's 1928 Thompson on this site, and it was bought by a member for a fair price. The Big Sandy Shoot is the last weekend of this month. They are having their first under-tent Gun Show. Located just a little south of Kingman, Az. www.mgshooters.com
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Good Lord, I can't even imagine that the last panic law would halt the sale of magazines going out of CO. For real?
If you and Jerry don't get together on it I'll let you store it at my house...
dju
Actually, David, your comment does put a slight twist on what I read in the law but I'll read it again. It may say I can not transfer a HCM "in" Colorado -- i.e. from me, in CO to another person in CO. It may not prohibit me sending one someplace else but it also my not address that specifically so one would be up against a local interpretation.

They went so far as to talk about if I were to hand a HCM to you while we were both at the range, or to leave one with a gunsmith to be repaired, etc. Both of those were deemed to be acceptable if I expected to get it back. If you forget you have it and stick it in the trunk of your car and drive off, we are both up that well known tributary without the proper means of locomotion.

Gary
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
alanint
User

There is nothing preventing a shipment from CO. to a state where the magazine is allowed.
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
There is nothing preventing a shipment from CO. to a state where the magazine is allowed.
That would certainly meet the common sense test. However, the wording in the technical guidance only allows for "temporary transfer of a HCM". The interesting thing about that is that the way it is presently stated, there is no method of getting rid of it. There is not even a clause that allows you to turn it into a law enforcement agency. At least not in the technical guidance. I can not seem to find an actual on line copy of HB 13-1224.
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If I were in your shoes right now(thank God, I am not), and just saw how the two anti-gun politicians were removed from office by irate gun owners, I would send your mags to a friend out of state and wait and see. These crazy laws may get repealed with politicians now understanding the "people's desire" on this subject.....just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Acolyte
User

CO mag ban specifically permits transfers to out of state purchasers who may legally own high cap mags.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
CO mag ban specifically permits transfers to out of state purchasers who may legally own high cap mags.

Wow! that is what I want to see. Do you have a link to the actual bill? I know it has to be there somewhere but I have not been able to find it.

EDIT: I did find the online copy of the bill. I do not see any provision for sending a magazine out of state. I also see no prohibition to sending one either. When I talked to the Attorney Generals office they told me I would need to hire an attorney to give me advice on that subject.

I would assume it is permitted because the bill talks quite a bit about HCM that are manufactured in Colorado and it would be logical that if that is allowed and transfer in CO is illegal they must be able to send them out of state.
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
mystical_tutor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
If I were in your shoes right now(thank God, I am not), and just saw how the two anti-gun politicians were removed from office by irate gun owners, I would send your mags to a friend out of state and wait and see. These crazy laws may get repealed with politicians now understanding the "people's desire" on this subject.....just a thought.
The folks are working hard on getting rid of the third person too. I don't live in her district so couldn't sign the petition.

If I sell the MP-40 out of state in a state that doesn't have a HCM law I think it will all be OK. If I sell it instate it looks like I'm on a knife edge and waiting till all the political dust settles may be a difficult option to take.

Thanks for your comment though.

Gary